Indication that SSL was breached on July 27

donhau

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
OK, showing my ignorance here. I use an outside IT service to remote in and keep my computer working. They called and indicated I had a breach of SSL on July 27 (which they showed me somehow on-screen). Is this a problem? Does it need to be reinstalled somehow? I thought it was part of Windows 7 Pro (which I'm running with all current updates). Obviously they have offered to replace this - for a price. Not sure how SSL works with the system and how it can be breached & broken. Have installed various levels of malware security from TDSKiller (Kaspersky) to various malware & virus S/W. Also installed network security. Question: Does the breach indicate a hack? Is the breach / break real? If so does SSL need to be purchased and reinstalled for security?

donhau

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
Personal computer. But some add'l info. I went thru admin svcs and drilled down to SSL. Status is that it is not configured. Didn't know what to do after that

Are you really sure that it was your outside IT service that called? "For a price...."? Who is the service: are you already paying?

The approach sounds very similar to the long standing "Windows Services" scam where they call you and show you computer system "errors" that they claim must be fixed. Instead they infect and/or hijack your computer with malware. Or get a credit card number/financial information to steal money from you.

Be very careful and do not give out any personal or financial information. As for SSL just google for some tutorials and get yourself informed.

donhau

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016

USAFRet

Illustrious
I use an outside IT service to remote in and keep my computer working.
They called and indicated....

This sounds like a scam on multiple levels.

What are you paying them to do? "remote in and keep your computer working" ?
There is NO need for that.

"for a price", they will fix something they should have prevented in the first place?
No.

We'd have to see whatever screenshot they showed you.

donhau

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
Thank you Ralston 18. I have had numerous calls of the type you identified above and generally just hang up. The one I got last Friday was actually from the IT group I use for service (ITEC) and with an individual I have dealt with in the past. But late Friday night felt "fishy" from the start, especially wanting money ($300). So I declined and told them call me Monday. I used the weekend for research and found everything I was told to be bogus, especially since they had already sold me the SSL service in April (which I now found was unnecessary). Monday I contacted the owner and related my concerns, especially with his employee. Long story short - he gave me a security password for my account and told me if anybody from his company calls and doesn't provide the P/W - hang up. Additionally, I will hang up regardless and call the owner for confirmation before I let anybody "remote in". Just as an FYI - I have found Geek Squad (owned by Best Buy) to be a reputable and knowledgeable backup - also cheaper. Thanks again.

donhau

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016

Good.

But overall, be a skeptic.

However, unless you really know that it is indeed the "owner" you spoke with continue your caution....

Double check on anyone who calls especially if they happen to have the password.

The word is getting around about these scams and the perp's are getting more elaborate and desperate.

All too easy to set up a front from which to "do business".

donhau

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016

donhau

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
All responses are correct and I thank you for your time. You know, I started with these guys around 2-3 years ago andit worked out ok, for a while. But your comment about getting more elaborate & desperate strikes a chord. As far as if I'm dealing with "The Owner" - who knows. If I really need help in the future, so far I have found "The Geek Squad" at Best Buy to at least have a reputable front and the local service has been good. Thanks again.