Question Inherited a Bose Lifestyle 20 (subwoofer & 2 speakers). Can I hook this to non-Bose audio source (like Vizio TV)?

Jan 24, 2021
Friends gave my a Bose Lifestyle 20. Subwoofer has built-in power supply and audio input (a 5-pin round connection). Left and right box speakers. Is it possible to hook a non-Bose audio source (like a CD/DVD/Bluray player) or, more importantly my Vizio smart tv?

I didn't get any of the cables, friends just gave me the three pieces. Even have to buy a power cable and the speaker connectors (RCA to 2-wire cords). I'm asking to see if anything will work with this before I invest in the missing cables & connectors.

Reactions: Ermeg
Jan 31, 2021
I have a similar situation - I have 2 powered 5 ll subs both have double cubes -350watt - like new with wiring but no lifestyle player. I want to run them both together to a 3 rd party receiver - I also bought 2 separate rca in and out volume controllers. I did find a seller making the 5pin din to a 3.5 male to run off a phone but that didn’t solve my dilemma to be now to hook them up togther like I would via the lifestyle 5 player. Any advise would be appreciated.

Reactions: Smackiepipe
My reply to the OP may be incorrect for the situation, I thought they had the full system not just the speakers. After re-reading it may only be the speakers. Does not seem anyone has ever been able to connect the sub and speakers to a standard receiver, only the smaller satellite speakers which use normal speaker wire, although that is a bit pointless since many other speakers sound better.

Reactions: Smackiepipe
Jan 24, 2021
My reply to the OP may be incorrect for the situation, I thought they had the full system not just the speakers. After re-reading it may only be the speakers. Does not seem anyone has ever been able to connect the sub and speakers to a standard receiver, only the smaller satellite speakers which use normal speaker wire, although that is a bit pointless since many other speakers sound better.

Yep I just have the acoustimass subwoofer and the satellite left and right speakers (the lifestyle 20 was on the tag on the bottom of subwoofer, hence, why I called it that). It looks like a five-pin DIN plug it for audio input. My hope is to hook this to my vizio TV that has left/right RCA audio output. I'm hoping a five-pin DIN to left/right RCA plug would allow me play through.

Something like this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...a&pd_rd_w=J31kr&pd_rd_wg=HM5yM&ref_=pd_gw_unk

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021
I have a similar situation - I have 2 powered 5 ll subs both have double cubes -350watt - like new with wiring but no lifestyle player. I want to run them both together to a 3 rd party receiver - I also bought 2 separate rca in and out volume controllers. I did find a seller making the 5pin din to a 3.5 male to run off a phone but that didn’t solve my dilemma to be now to hook them up togther like I would via the lifestyle 5 player. Any advise would be appreciated.
Wish I could help you!