Initial Google Glass Units Will Be Built in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]So you "won" the right to spend $1,500 on these things?..lmao. When they are $199 get back to me. "first wave"...big deal. After those 8,000 they will be made in China.[/citation]

They will never be $199. Guess you're not getting one at all then. Come on, even an SGS2 is more than $250 and this thing is way more advanced from what I gather.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]So you "won" the right to spend $1,500 on these things?..lmao. When they are $199 get back to me. "first wave"...big deal. After those 8,000 they will be made in China.[/citation]

This. I typically have respect for google for many of their efforts. But once it was considered Emasculating to have a cell phone, yet manly to wear the glasses...wow. Wonder where all their chromebooks are built?

[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]They will never be $199. Guess you're not getting one at all then. Come on, even an SGS2 is more than $250 and this thing is way more advanced from what I gather.[/citation]
I'll bet when 40" flats screen HDTVs were over $10,000 you said they would never hit $300, they have. There are no mineral resources in these glasses to make them worth more than a few dollars. It's just a matter of getting production costs down.

If these do well in a few years they'll be dirt cheap as millions of units get cranked out and tons of manufacturers are competing over them. That's assuming they do that well. I think a lot of people will not like wearing these.

A lot of people may not like these things at all. You could potentially get a big push to outlaw these in public, businesses banning them on their premises, &c. Since you don't know who could be recording you and what they are doing with that data. At least with smartphones it is pretty obvious when someone is pointing the camera at you.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010

Considering that a regular pair of glasses can easily exceed $500, and iphones are up to $850, I don't see $1500 being too much of a stretch for this device.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
As far as them being banned because of the camera I'd not be surprised if a way is created to somehow disable the camera within some given radius. ...basically, if the glasses pick up a certain signal the camera is disabled. Google may even help do this to increase acceptance.

You may scoff at the idea but when it happens remember we told you so.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]As far as them being banned because of the camera I'd not be surprised if a way is created to somehow disable the camera within some given radius. ...basically, if the glasses pick up a certain signal the camera is disabled. Google may even help do this to increase acceptance. You may scoff at the idea but when it happens remember we told you so.[/citation]Root it and disable the feature that turns off the camera :D

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Unless they go get banned and go the way of the Segway (remember that "revolution"?)
$1,500 made in the USA, next year $500 made in china, the following year $200 generic chinese iglasses
Probably wrong on time, but we've all seen it happen

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]whiteodian[/nom]Root it and disable the feature that turns off the camera[/citation]
Have these been rooted already.

ender2003

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
let's issue these to cops instead of gun cams or dash cams. Then you truly see everything from their perspective.

Oh wait, then some of them would be held accountable for their actions. Ban the glasses!

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
[citation][nom]childofthekorn[/nom]This. I typically have respect for google for many of their efforts. But once it was considered Emasculating to have a cell phone, yet manly to wear the glasses...wow. Wonder where all their chromebooks are built?[/citation]

I don't like their Chromebooks and would rather settle with an nearly decade old pentium m era laptop before ever buying one. Their "toys" are just that toys unless there is some legit use for them. OH well there are other things worth my money :)

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Another unneeded tech item. Why not devote your money towards better quality living instead of gadgetry?[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]Google Glass should be a requirement for every politician.[/citation]

Ignorance is bliss. Personally, I don't want to know some of the stuff they do or see. :p

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

$199? That's barely the price of prescription glasses. You want one that cheap? Maybe 50 years later.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Um where exactly are you buying your glasses?..lol If you pay full price for a cell phone you're an idiot.[/citation]If you buy a "subsidized" cell phone, you pay much much more than if you buy direct. Also you end up with a carrier locked version instead of an unlocked version.

A 64GB iphone 5 costs $850, cellular service costs $45/month (x24=1080) for unlimited everything on pre-pay.

A subsidized 64GB iphone 5 costs $399 (save 450), Cellular service costs 120/month (x24=2880, lose 1800) for 2GB of data, and unlimited everything else.

Net loss of $1350 over a 2 year period Vs buying outright.

As to where I buy my glasses. I go to an Optometrist, not Wal-mart / Costco. I am willing to pay for both customer service, and for locally owned.

Fulgurant

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Considering that a regular pair of glasses can easily exceed $500, and iphones are up to $850, I don't see $1500 being too much of a stretch for this device.[/citation]
Wait. Google Glass has corrective lenses?

Fulgurant

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]If you buy a "subsidized" cell phone, you pay much much more than if you buy direct. Also you end up with a carrier locked version instead of an unlocked version.A 64GB iphone 5 costs $850, cellular service costs $45/month (x24=1080) for unlimited everything on pre-pay.A subsidized 64GB iphone 5 costs $399 (save 450), Cellular service costs 120/month (x24=2880, lose 1800) for 2GB of data, and unlimited everything else.Net loss of $1350 over a 2 year period Vs buying outright.[/citation]
All of that is probably true. But part of the reason the iPhone is still $850 is precisely because the cost of the item is largely opaque to the consumer. As VelocityG pointed out earlier, HD televisions crashed in price over a matter of years as production costs diminished, and as market demand placed downward pressure on vendor pricing.

If there were no option to pick up a putatively "free" iPhone as part of your cell-phone-service contract, then many fewer people would consent to buy an iPhone, and Apple would likely lower the price. So while you're scoffing at all the lemmings who get soaked in the long term by bundling the cost of their phone with their contract, keep in mind that you're indirectly getting soaked too.

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Im glad to hear that SOMETHING will be made in the united states but google-glass sounds like a redicolous idea. makes me fear the future a bit when we cant make good USEFULL stuff in the US but dumb stuff like google-glass... REALLY? After all we invented or improved 90% of tech we have today.

Status
Not open for further replies.