Inline mic not picking up audio

Anna_6

Estimable
Nov 20, 2015
I use a windows 7 HP laptop, and although trying numerous inline mics, none seem to work anymore. they were working fine, and then one night after using stereo mix to show a video over skype, the mic refused to work. after thinking the mix was broken, I purchased a new one. The apple earpods were 4-pin, and worked previously, so it doesn't seem that my laptop has any problems supporting 4-pin headsets? I've been trying for months to find a way to fix it to no avail. I've tried updating the drivers, uninstalling and re-installing, replugging in, and it is in the headset/mic port that worked from before. I've looked it up, and this is my last resort. Any help would be greatly appreciated - Note, I have no idea the specifics on the make or model, as I'm not an expert on this.

Solution
Hi,

Few things you can try that may help. By the way an apple earpods won't actually as a microphone for your laptop.
- Start by uninstalling/reinstall the sound card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the sound card driver.
- Reboot your PC and it should reinstall the driver back.
- If these steps will not work change some settings with the mic itself.
- Right click on the speaker icon and click Recording Devices.
- Right click on Microphone then click Properties. In Properties click on Levels tab.
- Try to lower the the Microphone Boost and Microphone level higher (100%)
- Click Apply and OK then try it again.
- Lastly, you may need to do a Factory reset and if it will solve the issue that means it's a hardware problem already.
Hi,

Few things you can try that may help. By the way an apple earpods won't actually as a microphone for your laptop.
- Start by uninstalling/reinstall the sound card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the sound card driver.
- Reboot your PC and it should reinstall the driver back.
- If these steps will not work change some settings with the mic itself.
- Right click on the speaker icon and click Recording Devices.
- Right click on Microphone then click Properties. In Properties click on Levels tab.
- Try to lower the the Microphone Boost and Microphone level higher (100%)
- Click Apply and OK then try it again.
- Lastly, you may need to do a Factory reset and if it will solve the issue that means it's a hardware problem already.

Solution