Inspiron 15 7000 (7559) screen flicker issue (video linked)

sarge90

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015
Hello,

I bought the Inspiron 15 7000 (1TB HDD, non-touch) two months ago and have noticed that my screen flickers slightly intermittently. I'm adding a link to a video showing the problem at the bottom of this message.

Since the problem persisted despite having the latest drivers and updates for this machine, I sent the laptop back to Dell for repairs. They replaced the system board and returned it back but it has made no difference whatsoever and the screen flickers just the way it did before.

I contacted Dell's tech support once again and they say that the likely cause of this problem is a loose connection with the LCD cable. I should point out that tapping or moving the lid of the laptop does not affect the flickering in any way. I would be very grateful if someone could look at the video below and determine whether the problem does seem like a loose LCD connection before I send the machine back to Dell again. Thank you!

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oflY5mJMHW4

Hi,

It's can definitely a hardware problem but here are some test that you can do to identify the issue.
- Start by connecting your laptop onto an external monitor and observe if you'll also get that flickering issue on it.
- If it doesn't happen that means they replaced the wrong part because the problem would be either the screen itself or the ribbon cable that connects it to the motherboard.
- If the flickering does happen on the external display that means it's something to do with the graphics card itself.
- Do a clean install of the graphics card driver first.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the Nvidia graphics driver.
- Check Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to Nvidia.
- Next is to download and install the latest driver from the manufacturers site.
- Here's the link: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
- Reboot your laptop once the latest driver has been installed.
- After the reboot do test it again and see if the same problem will persist.
- If these steps will not work contact Dell again for a repair. :(

sarge90

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015

Thanks for replying! There is no flickering when I use an external monitor. If I use the external monitor to extend the display, only the laptop screen flickers. So it does seem like a hardware issue.