Question Inspiron 1779 2-1 dead. Displays light code i don't understand

Dec 2, 2020
My Inspiron 1779 2-1 is completely dead. When i plug it in and hold the power button down long enough (about 30 seconds), it displays the following code on the light in the front of the PC (facing you, on the keyboard side)...

4 short blinks, a pause, then a longer 5th blink.

I thought that meant the CMOS battery was dead (which might explain why it won't power on or even post), but we just replaced the CMOS battery (and the card that came with it) today and nothing has changed. Gets zero power and only displays the diagnostic lights.

Is anyone familiar with the light code i mentioned? Does it correspond to a particular part we can replace?

Thanks very much in advance!

(PS, yes we did leave it plugged in overnight, presumably charging, and also re-seeded the main battery.)

Dec 2, 2020

All the blinks are white. Four short ones, pause, then a longer fifth one. It's the power light in the front of the laptop. I went through all the Dell diagnostic PDF's and i don't even see that combination listed. Unfortunately the system is out of warranty, so they won't even talk to me unless i pay for a support call. :(

Dec 2, 2020
could be the ram?
It could be i suppose, but i would expect some kind've beep code or bios error to be displayed. The laptop isn't powering on at all besides from the blink sequence i mentioned. Still, i did re-seed the module (only one installed), but it made no difference i'm afraid.