Inspiron e1505 cpu half speed

prenema

Honorable
Feb 26, 2012
inspiron e1505 dual boot WINXP/7, dell specs claims 1.6GHZ while cpu gadgets claim half the speed 800MHZ
checked bios : min 800MHZ max 1600MHZ CPU speed and 800MHZ at the moment and NO WAY to change these settings.
Oh yes bios does not see the battery as well, but that might be the Batt is dead.
any one can give me advise please?
pieter

prenema

Honorable
Feb 26, 2012
in the bios it is set on the min speed of 800MHZ and I am looking for a way to change that to the max speed of 1600HZ. No way to change the system setting in the bios thusfar.

prenema

Honorable
Feb 26, 2012

Thanks for reponding.
It looks like it is fixed in the bios: the set speed is 800MHZ which equals the lowest speed. The max speed is 1600MHZ, but there is no way to change anything of the system parameters in the bios.
Whether the cores are busy or not, the speed is always 800MHZ.
pieter

With Speedstep set on in the BIOS - check the Windows Power Options.
If you're on Power Saver option it might be holding back CPU speed for aggressive battery life power savings.
You can try the Balanced or Performance options to find a setting that lets the CPU run full speed when it's useful, like a medium or heavy workload.

prenema

Honorable
Feb 26, 2012

Thanks for respond,
I went thru these already without any effect.
Originally it was my son's laptop to whom it was given by some else, so it had a problem all the way. I am suspecting the dead battery is doing all the harm, but to find out it will cost some bugs.
Strange thing is if you switch OFF SpeedStep in the BIOS it will turn down to the lowest CPU setting 800MHZ.
With the dead battery however it does apperently just the other way arround????
Updating the BIOS to the newest version requires a working battery...........
I found out thus far that a lot of people have similar problems with the same laptop: CPU busy with nothing, CPU speed low, audio gives destorted sound, battery dead, I mean DEAD not just very low capacity: the CPU/BIOS does not even register it!!!!
At the moment it works agreeable both WinXP and Win7, though NOT better than my Fujitsu (LIfebook1320) with a PentiumM4 single core 1,7GHZ.
Meanwhile it keeps me busy AND uptodate with hardware.
pieter