Promlems Troubleshooting Dell Inspiron laptop -- Possible bad CPU Fan?

DaveLH

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Hello,

I am attempting fix a client's 8-year-old Windows XP Dell Inspiron E1505, which he complained of sluggish performance. It turned out that he had a ton of viruses / malware, so I did a complete system reinstall of Windows, drivers, etc., and now things are much improved. But graphics performance is still not great -- Flash videos (e.g. YouTube) are intermittently choppy, and Windowing itself (scroll bars, mini/maximizing windows, etc.) are often slow to respond to input.

I have run tests to rule out the hard drive, RAM, etc., and now I'm left with the CPU.
After running Mersenne Prime Test and CPUBurn 1.4, I then immediately ran Sensors v3.3.4, which reported the CPU temp to be 41 deg. C, and the CPU fan speed to be 79,000 RPM (no that's not a typo -- seventy-nine *thousand* -- can *any* fan spin that fast??) even though the fan is making no sound at all!

Searching the forums here, I have seen that people have had related problems that turned out to be either a dead fan, or a bad motherboard, and I'm wondering if this is the case here? Should I recommend to my client replacing the fan,or getting a whole new system?

Complete System Specs:

Dell Inspiron E1505
CPU: Intel Core Duo 1.6 GHz
RAM: 1 GB DDR2
Video: Intel 945GM
HDD: Seagate 320 GB
Battery: BIOS says battery is "Charging Normally but reaching end of its life" (Client always uses the system plugged in.)

Thanks ahead.

RobWHS

Estimable
Jun 3, 2014
8 year old Laptop that probably had it's fair share of use and abuse. Sell him an upgrade IMO.
Unless you want to pull the machine apart, fault find and possibly source replacement parts that is......

bharathbigb

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Max out the RAM (Faster and Bigger) and Use an SSD.Upgrade the CPU if possible.Update all the drivers using Driver Booster from iOBit (Yes ,It is free and Automatic) and see f the Videos and Animations are Fixed.Check temps of CPU too.