Instagram Asks Court to Dismiss Lawsuit Over ToS Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]derekullo[/nom]WHY WON'T IT READ?[/citation]
I like southpark, and they do make a point... but, the TOS is a jumble of lawyer words, pain to read and understand.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Why sharks don't eat lawyers?

Professional courtesy.

That is the only reason why I see courts dismissing this lawsuit.
Otherwise, hit them hard! Hiding behind loopholes and the mumbo-jumbo of the TOS should not be taken easily. Just my opinion. Punishable to the extend of the law, and maybe rewriting some laws to prevent this from happening again.

corvak

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
There are so many image hosts out there, I never understood the uproar over Instagram's TOS.

So many options available that it should be easy to switch if a TOS isn't agreeable.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]judiqw[/nom]spam[/citation]
I see Tom's still allows newcome users to post a bunch of messages within the first minute of their registration.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]corvak[/nom]There are so many image hosts out there, I never understood the uproar over Instagram's TOS.So many options available that it should be easy to switch if a TOS isn't agreeable.[/citation]

There's alternatives to Gmail, Facebook, etc. Doesn't mean existing users want to export all their data, request people to use a new service, make all the friend and family connections all over again, etc.

Not everyone has a few days of personal time to waste to set up something new and multiply that by the number of connections a person has.

This is why people are fighting back against thenegative TOS changes wherever it may be.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]virtualban[/nom]I see Tom's still allows newcome users to post a bunch of messages within the first minute of their registration.[/citation]

it is a double edge sword, i tried that once on a website i ran in college and users would get frustrated at only being a ble to post on one or two articles or on the forums for the first day and they would stop using the service. sure those kind of rules would work for long time toms hardware users, but it might detract legitimate new users and those who jsut visit hearing this a good place for tech advice and then they can't post enough to get out the info to solve a problem and leave to, we have a communal reputation for giving great tech advice and i wouldn't want to see it tarnished

as for the article... thi hope hte judge throws the book at em, term of sale agreements should have to be very simply worded and have a limited amount of characters

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Damn scammer's. I'll know never to use Instagram in the future.
They make those damn ula agreements like 200 page's now. Who knows what ur signing away. Like who's gonna read all that crap? Everytime it pops up on my iphone I just click accept and don't read it. Like i'm gonna read that every month or so they update it. They do that shit on purpose I think, just so you don't read it, then they steal your shit. This is why they need a standard agreement, and should only be able to update it once a year, and they should have some kind of committee to approve it, so they can't get away with this stuff.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]it is a double edge sword[/citation]
My solution is simple: 1 post per 5 minutes, with a "buffer" of let's say 60 minutes for older users.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Maybe it's time to get rid of TOS. Virtually nobody reads them and they are often thrown out of court anyway because of this. Maybe there should just be a universal TOS that automatically applies to all websites (with limited rights for the website). If sites want extra rights, they should require a user to manually go into their settings and check a box for each right they are relinquishing. There could even be a limit on the length of text for each right and have gov't approved text to use for the common ones that is clear and concise.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
ditched instagram the moment kissofdeathbook bought them.

Anyone else "sticking" it out hoping it will get better, obviously hasn't seen how Facebook works. Its the same process as domesticating a wild animal.

Put out some food in a safe place that has the animal you wish to catch, refill the food every day. After a few weeks, put up one wall next to the food and continue to refill the food every day. After a few more weeks put up a second wall. A few more weeks another wall. A few more weeks a roof and trap door. Watch for the animals to head to the food and bam, you have captured a bunch of wild animals. Or in this case, stolen a bunch of user data.

The difference is Instagram didn't make the changes slow enough, but don't worry, I'm sure they will learn from their mistakes. If at first you don't' succeed....

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
a standard term of service, same for everyone

if they want more they must have the lawyer speak and plain english next to it.
you sign are ok with that... than you get in...

still be thrown out of court, but less for use to go through every damn time

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
A standard TOS, and anything beyond standard should be given with one typical and one extreme example of right and wrong, and deviating too much from that example could land to court. This way, when technicalities such as "1% of owed credits for every week thereafter without notifying you" come around, and people do not think that far, the example of "it could ruin you" should be given.

anathema_forever

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
I honestly never read them I am for a standarization of TOS. It's just stupid how many of these things you would "have" to read to do anything on a computer or smartphone etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.