Install disk without disk drive

HelpMePlease212

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Hi, I only have windows 7 starter, but I now have a windows vista CD. I would like to install it, but my computer doesn't have a disk drive. How do I do it?

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
If you're talking about a desktop I would install a DVD drive first because I would certainly need one eventually. You can buy a DVD burner for under $30 and anybody can install it. If it's a laptop you may be able to use an external drive through the USB port.

HelpMePlease212

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012

Its a netbook. i dont have the money for an external drive...

You need to get something to install it, if not an external DVD you need to buy a flash drive to create a USB drive setup off the disk. But then again, you need something with a DVD drive to read the files off the Vista CD to create the drive-based installation of it.

7 Starter is a bit limited. The path should be 7 Starter to another version of 7, but who knows where he got the Vista from, probably did not have to pay for it.

aaab

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

Or a flash drive works just as well...

I have 2 laptops, and I haven't used the inbuilt dvd drive in either of them once... Flash drives work just fine

Except that if you have a DVD to use a flash drive won't do you much good unless you have a second PC to transfer the DVD over to the flash drive. Which is what this guy needs. Netbooks are great for a second or third PC, once you got everything on the network or downloadable, no need for the optical drive.