Solved! Install OTA Antenna on Satellite hardware

nitinahuja

Commendable
Feb 19, 2016
My home has the following set up: Directv 3 LNB dish plus Directv international dish.I do not need them anymore.How do I use the existing hardware from these dishes to install an Outdoor antenna to get OTA signal into multiple rooms of the house just like the satellite signal was.From dish the cable goes into swm and then into a spliter.How do I attach Photos?
0436SN5i9mmR0Bzw2

TlsilcWlsgNOffGH2

Solution
WSAZ is a favorite of mine (I am from WV). You could get something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/pingbingding-Amplified-Range-360-Remote-Snap-Installation/dp/B0748KYTZN/ref=sr_1_3?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1521765456&sr=1-3&keywords=outdoor+antenna+for+tv

You don't have to use a rotator, just point in the direction of Huntington/Charleston (where ever those antennas are in relation to you) and leave in place. I am sure your pick up other local channels as well.

You could also get something similar to what is used on RVs, including an omni-directional unit, something like this...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
WSAZ is a favorite of mine (I am from WV). You could get something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/pingbingding-Amplified-Range-360-Remote-Snap-Installation/dp/B0748KYTZN/ref=sr_1_3?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1521765456&sr=1-3&keywords=outdoor+antenna+for+tv

You don't have to use a rotator, just point in the direction of Huntington/Charleston (where ever those antennas are in relation to you) and leave in place. I am sure your pick up other local channels as well.

You could also get something similar to what is used on RVs, including an omni-directional unit, something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/ANTOP-Amplified-directional-Extremely-Reception/dp/B01N4J5YGB/ref=sr_1_2?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1521765672&sr=1-2&keywords=rv+antenna+for+tv

Those are a bit more expensive and have less range. Still for your purposes, you'll be fine. We watch WSAZ with our camper in Summersville, WV with a far less advanced antenna (either of these) with excellent picture and sound quality, at quite a bit more distance than you.

Solution

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I would recommend doing away with any of the DirecTv stuff. Get a couple cable couplers to create a clean coax connection from the antenna to your TV (or into your internal coax cabling). That should make the least complicated config.

nitinahuja

Commendable
Feb 19, 2016
Can the existing green splitter as shown in photograph be used to connect the OTA coax into it? From it the cables are already ran into the house.I can remove the grey swm box outside the house.

nitinahuja

Commendable
Feb 19, 2016
The link for pictures was posted on 3/22 6:34 pm as one of the replies to this thread. What the picture shows is that from the dish cables run into a grey swm box and from the grey swm box into a splitter and from the splitter into the house.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Understood. The issue is that certain things get blocked when I am at my office. You should be able to re-use the splitter to route the signal into your house.

nitinahuja

Commendable
Feb 19, 2016
Success! :)

I have 7 channels.Thank you very much.

When I was testing the antenna ( GE pro Yagi Antenna) from walmart in the day time I got more channels- 14.The antenna was sitting against the wall and ground.When I mounted it on the roof using the existing directv dish arm I had to constantly go up and down the roof to change direction to get upto 7 channels.Is there a reason for this?

I am using the digital coax four way splitter ( Onn) from walmart in place of the Directv splitter. Also, I am using one of the satellite cables which was connected to one of the LNB's .I took that out and connected it to the antenna and the other end to the Onn four way splitter.