Installed JDK but applets not working in browsers

Status
Not open for further replies.

solarwind

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
My system: Windows7x64 (fresh install - so no previous JRE's or JDK's),
Firefox 15.0.1 and IE9
note: I am a developer so yes, I want the JDK, not just the JRE, Oracle's page instructions clearly states that: "... If you want to develop Java applications, download the Java Development Kit, or JDK. The JDK includes the JRE, so you do not have to download both separately."

I downloaded this JDK: jdk-7u7-windows-x64.exe from Oracle's download pages

I installed the JDK as per instructions on this page: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/webnotes/install/windows/jdk-installation-windows.html
I updated the PATH environment variable to include: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_07\bin (which is the directory on my computer)

I restarted the computer.
I checked cmd prompt for java -version, it reports:
java version "1.7.0_07"
java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_07-b11) etc...

I tried to view applets in Firefox and IE and they both report that I have to download the Java plugin.
In Firefox I click "Install plugin" and it looks like it's installing, but then it fails. It then gives me an option to install it manually (which is a link to the Oracle JRE download page).

I already installed the JDK and I already have the JRE installed.
Any ideas? Appreciated - thanks.

solarwind

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
Found out that windows7 64bit comes with two versions of IE, a 64bit and a 32bit version and it's default is the 32bit one AND you can't change it to the 64bit one. My Firefox is also 32bit application (don't even think there's a 64bit version of Firefox). So silly me, thinking I should download a 64bit JDK for my 64bit OS. So, I fixed the problem by uninstalling the 64bit JDK and installing the 32bit JDK. Maybe this will help someone else, because I've seen this problem reported in other forums, but there is never a good answer for it.

solarwind

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
I answered my own question, and keep getting emails from Tom's Hardware to select a best answer. However, it does not give me an option to select my own answer. Tom's Hardware should allow OP's to select their own answer as the best. This may seem redundant or odd, but it's true that sometimes after days of further research, it's the OP who finally finds the best answer. AND it's useful to others who might have a similar question at some later time. See how I helped someone above with their 32bit-app on 64bit-os woes.

Neeraj_5

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks for the solution. This helped me big time. Thanks a lot again !!

Status
Not open for further replies.