Installed LCD replacement screen for VAIO doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldenstatesun

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
This help request regards a Sony VPCZ119FX with Windows 7 installed

Had to replace the LCD screen because of damage. Could only see half of the screen of the damaged unit. Removed the screws and bezel according to a detailed disassembly guide. Removed the LCD screen by the connection port to the inverter board. Popped in the new screen, plugged the cable in, and closed up the laptop pre-final screws. Lo and behold, nothing is visible on the screen when booting up or after entering Windows 7... I plugged the laptop into an HDMI external monitor out and I can see that the LCD screen is detected and that I am able to adjust the "duplicate, extended" monitor settings and from there, adjust the resolution. Device manager shows the laptop screen without a yellow icon so the PnP drivers shouldn't be malfunctioning.

I thought the new screen wasn't compatible at first (although the referrals / reviews seem to indicate that they should be) but now when I disassembled the new screen again and popped in the old LCD screen, it doesn't even show the damaged "half-of-the-screen" lit up image that it used to show.

My thought process:
-Screen should be compatible based on other installers experience
-Shouldn't be a faulty replacement screen because previous screen no longer lights up either
-Connecting cables should be okay because it is detected within Windows

My next thought would be to try to find a replacement video cable to see if I may have damaged cables i.e. the wires responsible for sending the image to the screen. However, I haven't been able to spot any good OEM sources for this.

Does any one have any suggestions on how I should proceed? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
You must check that the in inverter board is connected, double check this as it is used to power the back light of the Lcd screen. it is more likely this has blown more than anything.
A way to check is to open the laptop back up, take the screen off and use a torch to shine through the back of the screen, if you can see an image of the windows desktop then it is likely you need a new inverter board for the viao.
It depends on what type of back light the screen uses.

maxinexus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
The replacement LCD must have not been compatible...because when you powered it up it must have shorted something because your old screen now does not work. That would be my logical reasoning. So new laptop it is.

goldenstatesun

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012

Great progress right here. Shining through the back yields nothing but shining my light on the front, I can see that there is some picture i.e. the desktop.

But now, I have the old laptop screen and the new laptop screen and when plugging either of them in, there is no backlight. I've had a third screen recently to test as well but I wasn't sure it was the inverter board then (also yielded no image or backlight-- wasn't sure). I find it unlikely that it is the inverter board if the old LCD's inverter was working before the replacement and the new one coincidentally doesn't work as well.

goldenstatesun

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
Found the part number for the cable and ordered one for 57 dollars =/. Hopefully it's a pinched cable that I can just swap out. It seems like a special order part so it'll take around 2 week. Will post an update when the part comes.

Hi :)

Its not the cable...

I own a laptop repair company...

You problem is an INCORRECT SCREEN....

Look at the back of BOTH screens...see the white stickers with the part numbers on ?

BOTH sets of numbers on BOTH screens need to be IDENTICAL....not a single number or letter wrong...

Its extremely common for so called "generic screens" to not work...

Get one with the CORRECT numbers and it should work, assuming fitting the incorrect screen didn't damage anything (unlikely)

All the best Brett :)

goldenstatesun

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012

Both my old screen and the replacement screen I have are exhibiting the same exact problem. I'm reasonably deducing that the problem isn't contained in the LCD part.

goldenstatesun

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012

They are not the same because the manufacturer doesn't make the exact same part anymore.

Old: LT131EE12000

New: B131HW02 V.0

But many users have noted that they are compatible screens.

Hi :)

USERS REPLACE ONE SCREEN EVERY 5 YEARS...

My laptop repair company replaces HUNDREDS of screens per year...

We ALWAYS replace with same number screens... ANY GOOD laptop screen company CAN provide you with a screen WITH the correct numbers on it.... they are made in China (NOT by the manufacturer) and WILL work...

Go find a company that ONLY sells laptop screens...nothing else...

If you were in the UK , i could recommend one, but not in the US...

All the best Brett :)

Status
Not open for further replies.