Installing malware/virus'/etc for personal gain

ThatssoChris

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
Alright, so here's the deal. I enjoy the game Smite (Free to play 3rd person MOBA styled game).

So you know they have those 'Watch this video, get X currency, sign up for this get Y currency'.
You do? Great.

So they have offers where you can install all sorts of awesome shady software (Angry Birds Halloween, and America's favorite game Candy Shot) and they will in turn give you an amount of in game currency.

So I have two hard drives with my copy of Vista installed (Yes, I still run Vista. I'm cheap). The hard drive that I use for my main system, and the hard drive that I use in my backup system when my Gigabyte Motherboard inevitably needs to go back for for repair because the BIOS goes bad. The Hard Drive from my backup system is my storage drive when not in the backup system.

What i was thinking is, what if I booted from my backup drive, installed all this garbage, got my currency etc. As long as I don't have my main hard drive's SATA plugged in while I do this, when I go to boot from the main drive again, anything on the backup is pretty much harmless as long as I don't go clicking executables willy nilly, right?

Any thoughts, suggestions, guidance?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Yes you can, but then you are infecting a drive that will be connected as a storage drive to your main pc. Could still be risky. Up to you. Just said I did with the virtual machine way and it was easy and there is no way thing get out of the virtual machine, that's the point of them. entire separate instant of you pc that boots up and can be wiped away when you close the window with nothing remaining.
easier way. install the microsoft virtual machine, run the free virtual XP micosoft gives out. Install the software there on the virtual machine. When it's full of crap, just start over with the image again. I've done for battlefield funds to install their crappy software for coins. Installing to another harddrive with your good one installed still could cause stuff to inject itself on all your drives.

ThatssoChris

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
I don't want you to think that I don't appreciate your assitance, because I do, and I see that it is a valid way to do it. But I am still looking for an answer to my original question.

Yes you can, but then you are infecting a drive that will be connected as a storage drive to your main pc. Could still be risky. Up to you. Just said I did with the virtual machine way and it was easy and there is no way thing get out of the virtual machine, that's the point of them. entire separate instant of you pc that boots up and can be wiped away when you close the window with nothing remaining.

Solution