Installing windows xp on new laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ki4ngo

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
hi i just recently bought a compaq presario cq57 it came with windows 7 installed on it already and i would really like to downgrade to windows xp due to the rate of spped it is running now. also after i get windows xp on there i wanna delete windows 7 cause i do not like the new os any help would be appreciated

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
obviously you do not know what you are talking about. There may be some features of your new laptops that will not work properly without a 64bit OS. Also on newer systems XP is actually SLOWER than win7.
If you do not like the layout of the OS there are plenty of ways to make win7 act and feel more like XP.
The only time I would suggest XP over 7 is if you already have XP pro, and need to replace Win7 Starter edition. But if you have to purchase an OS I would not buy a copy of XP today.
However, as bad decisions cannot be stopped; When you install WinXP it will give you some HDD management options before installing. Remove both partitions on the system drive that were created by win7, make a new partition, and then reformat the drive before installing winXP.

I would highly suggest making a restore CD/DVD before doing anything foolish.

jitpublisher

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
There is no reason to go back to XP.
Win 7 is faster, and much intuitive than XP ever was, and support for XP will be on the decline as time goes by. It is human nature to resist change, but it would be advisable to simply start getting used to the new look and feel. It is for the better in the long run. If the new laptop is that slow, you might try to find out why, but it is not because the laptop is running Win 7.

ki4ngo

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
ok first to jitpublisher thanks for trying to persuade me from changing but im not resisting change i use windows 7 all the time at work but my laptop has a 1.6 ghz processor and its take sometimes up to 3 min to load a program or get on the web and second to caedenv thank you but i do know what im talking about i wanna go with xp sp2 i have the discs and all but when it goes to load them it loads all the files but then its says your computer is at risk and when i try to do it through the c drive it says that my windows setup isnt compatible even hp support couldnt help me

jitpublisher

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Well, that is kinda what I mean. What type of disks do you have, upgrade or full version, of course if it is an upgrade version it won't work with Win7. You will have to fully format your drive and start all over, but then, if it is a full version, it still won't have the right drivers if your laptop has a sata drive, you will have to supply them to the setup program.

ki4ngo

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
ok i dont know what i have cause my dad got it but every time i try to instal xp it wont let me how do i format my hd before installing xp cause ive installed xp on my comps before but i always formattd my hds after the install was started

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
As the computer is a Compaq I would be much more suspicious of the hardware having problems than it being win7. I have a netbook (which is waaaaay worse than your new laptop) with win764bit and 1GB of ram, and it does not take 3min to load. It has to either be a setting, or a hardware issue.

If while installing XP you had deleted the partitions, made a new one, and then reformatted the new partition you would (or at least should) not have any installation issues. The 'at risk' error may be due to the BIOS if there is any BIOS level protection from changing the OS (but I thought that was only on Intel chipsets, not AMD), so check your BIOS settings and see if there is anything in there that may prohibit modifications to your system drive.

HP support is a joke at best, and always has been. Remember all those people were told they were loosing their jobs just a month ago. I would bet that they are a little less than willing to give good customer service when they have a company that treats them like that. Also, they will not provide support for any software or hardware that did not come with their system (eg, you are on your own with XP).

hrwaller

Honorable
May 12, 2012

Try running Anvil Express or Personal APT on a Windows 7 computer in short they don't. Some of us who make a living off of our computers can't jump on the latest gee whizz OS to come along.

abdul maalik

Honorable
May 16, 2012

i am also having same problem while installing windows XP on compaq presario cq57.......did you found any solution.......if found then please let me know..........but I know that it can be done but how i dont know..........

G

You are VERY stupid.

JenniferArden

Honorable
Feb 10, 2012
It is possible to install XP x86 / x64 on a new laptop. You need to copy the CD to your hard drive, integrate the AHCI drivers and write the files back to CD. I use the EXCELLENT utility "NLite" which also allows you to customize windows, inegrate drivers, updates, hotfixes etc but thats a whole other topic. I use XP Pro x64 on my acer 7740G Core i3 laptop very successfully.

You may need to use a volume license version of XP as some non volume license editions may not install on PC's / laptops with certain BIOS versions as well as the correct drivers for all components used in your laptop / PC including the AHCI controller (you will need to determine the model of the AHCI controller used in your laptop / PC and download and integreate the correct driver) I am also not sure if it will still possible to "activate" non volume license editions after support for XP has ended.

Here are my customised visual styles if you are interested, they are free to use and modify, they can be integrated with NLite and set as the default so they are automatically used after XP is installed if one prefers. They make XP look much better and provide a better user experience while using XP

x64 (1MB) http://www.mediafire.com/?t6rr1rqsvts8641
x86 (2MB) http://www.mediafire.com/?09n8vo77986ncz7

Status
Not open for further replies.