Question Windows 11 Updates

soundguy585

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2013
Hello, My friend bought a new HP pc with Windows 11 preinstalled and is having a problem with the data drive I installed for him. The pc has a factory ssd so I use the data drive for his docs, photos, music, desktop etc. It seems like windows update is removing the drive letter, so he has no icons on the desktop when he boots the pc. I have used a couple different drive letters and the result is the same. He does keep docs on the desktop, so that's why I relocated the desktop on the data drive. Short of reverting back to re-locating back to original locations, I have no idea why windows update is doing this at every update. F.Y.I. I have tested the data drive, which is new, to see if Windows is removing the letter because of drive problem. Any Ideas? Thanks for reading!

soundguy585

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2013
Hello, thank you for your response. The last drive letter I used was Z: I have the desktop folder, docs, music, photos relocated to the data drive(HDD) for safe keeping and to save space on the ssd. It seems that every time there's an update the drive letter disappears and therefore no icons on the deskop, alobg with the shortcuts to the other relocated folders. This happens almost weekly.

BlueBitz

Estimable
Jul 2, 2019
I had a similar issue with my setup. What worked for me was going into Disk Management and assigning a permanent letter to the data drive. Seems like Windows Update was just messing with the default settings.

soundguy585

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2013
I had a similar issue with my setup. What worked for me was going into Disk Management and assigning a permanent letter to the data drive. Seems like Windows Update was just messing with the default settings.
Thanks. I've been doing that everytime it removes the letter.This is happening weekly, so I need to revert back to the default folder locations. It's just getting to be a real pain. I have been do this to a few other pcs that have ssds and never had a problem. I'm thinking that there could be a problem with the disk and when Windows does an update, it removes the letter for safety or stability. One other idea might be his Norton 360 may be fooling with it? I'll see when I get back his pc from him to fix.