Integrate EQ in Surround Sound system

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PDShadowstone

Estimable
May 28, 2014
Does anyone manufacture a surround sound receiver that either has preamp out/direct in, or still has a tape monitor loop? I hate the pre-set EQ settings on receivers and there is no easy way to incorporate an EQ into a system without. I have found receivers (w/o surround processing) that do this...... but between the receiver and the outboard surround processing, it is just too expensive for a basic setup. While in the analog world, I was able to do this, but now having finally upgraded to 16:9, it would require replacing all my composite switching gear. Any guidance would be appreciated.

PDShadowstone

Estimable
May 28, 2014
LOL...... See, I told you it was a dumb question. Here, I'm thinking it was some kind of audio term I wasn't aware of! Will let you know what happens.

BTW....... after spending quite a bit of time doing more research, I've decided to go along with your advice and do the Outlaw combo. While there were very good reviews and comments for both the Outlaw and Emotiva amps, the majority of comments I read seem to go along with your assessment of the Outlaw being built better. I was basing my earlier "decision", if you will, on the normal selling price of the 7075 as compared to the UPA700. I wasn't thinking about pulling the trigger this weekend and taking advantage of the Black Friday/Cyber Monday promo. I might as well though. Bottom line is that the combo will be a step up from what I have got now, and the support point you brought up regarding one manufacturer is a valid one.

I'm sure you'll be happy and the pre-amp is fun to play with. The EQ is great along with all the other gadgets.
You'll like the amp also. I don't own any Outlaw amps because I didn't need it, but I have a couple of friends that have the combo but the bigger amps. Although the pre-amp and amp may reveal some flaws in the speakers or source material. That's the problem with buying good quality stuff is that now, dang, I need better speakers. My rule of thumb was always spend 1/3 to 1/2 of your budget on speakers. They have the hardest job to perform.

Happy listening, the Prisoner...