Solved! Integrated graphics card for HD netflix no games hd3000? or?

Solution
I'm fairly sure the minimum for full HD playback is a HD4200. When I built my HTPC 1.5 years ago, I scoured the internet to figure out exactly what the minimum requirements were for HD playback. I ended up with a Athlon II X2 Regor 240 (2.8GHz) and a HD4200 since I was confident that would play back every HD format currently available. I'm fairly sure my CPU is slightly more than needed, but I think the 4200 is near the minimum needed.

Just found this to confirm that you need a HD4200 or better for full decoding support. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_700_chipset_series#Integrated_graphics

If I were you I'd find an old PC with powerful enough integrated graphics. Adding a GPU will make the thing a power hog for what you want to do.

davee3

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011

I don't have a hd3000 number as it is only advertised as HD 3000

Pyree

Distinguished
Ok, if it is 3000 IGP of the Radeon HD 3000 series, then it does not support UVD so it won't accelerate H.264 content.

Do not get it.

What budget are you on?

Some of the AMD APU laptop are real cheap and are capable of H.264 1080p.

davee3

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
Thanks - low budget as second machine -staying clear of laptops

Now I think I will buy older & add appropriate new card

Will look for UVD & H 264 with hdmi out or at least DVI

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
I'm fairly sure the minimum for full HD playback is a HD4200. When I built my HTPC 1.5 years ago, I scoured the internet to figure out exactly what the minimum requirements were for HD playback. I ended up with a Athlon II X2 Regor 240 (2.8GHz) and a HD4200 since I was confident that would play back every HD format currently available. I'm fairly sure my CPU is slightly more than needed, but I think the 4200 is near the minimum needed.

Just found this to confirm that you need a HD4200 or better for full decoding support. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_700_chipset_series#Integrated_graphics

If I were you I'd find an old PC with powerful enough integrated graphics. Adding a GPU will make the thing a power hog for what you want to do.

Solution