Integrated vs. Discrete/Dedicated

Michigan Tech

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
Hello fellow techies,

I am looking to buy a laptop for school. I do a lot of 3D modeling, particularly Creo from PTC. I am always moving and will need it everyday--therefore it needs to be small and light.

After 3 days of intense searching, I've come across one question that I cannot answer: Integrated or Discrete/Dedicated?

I understand that bigger is better, but in my form factor it is really hard to get discrete/dedicated graphics. But do I even need it?

A quad-core i7 is a given in this situation. I've come across two options; Dell XPS 13 (integrated graphics Intel HD 520), and MSI's phantom (discrete/dedicated Nvidida 1060).

What do you think? Nobody is comparing Intel HD graphics for 3D modeling, so this is going to be a tough one to solve. Thanks you guys, I really appreciate it. Have a wonderful day!

Mr Kagouris

Estimable
Sep 7, 2015
A dGPU will be a significant help in any application that supports GPU acceleration, Intel's iGPUs are really just included to remove the need for a dGPU in certain machines like ultrabooks, mini-PCs et cetera. I'd go for the Phantom.

InvalidError

Distinguished
Nobody is comparing integrated graphics to high-end mainstream GPUs because there is no comparison to be done: where 3D performance is concerned, integrated graphics get destroyed by anything much above ~$100 entry-level discrete GPUs.

Going with integrated graphics will give you better battery life though.

Michigan Tech

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016

Now that we've come to that conclusion, what laptop would you recommend? The Phantom is quite expensive, but I am not sure if in this market that is a lot or cheap.

Specs:
<13"
<~4lbs
Quad Core i7
Dedicated GPU
SSD (don't need a lot of storage, mostly cloud based)

Thank you all for the quick responses!