Intel HD 4000 or Intel HM75

Angel-Face241

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
I am looking at buying a laptop, mainly for skype as well as on line gaming. Which spec is better the Intel HD 4000 or the Intel HM75? Please help me make the right decision here.

MKBL

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
You are comparing an apple to an orange. HD 4000 indicates the graphics unit inside CPU, while HM75 is a chipset to assist CPU's operation. You need H category chipset to enable display through HD internal graphics.

The HM75 is merely a chipset that controls many of the functions on the motherboard. It does not have a graphics core. The graphics core (iGPU) is actually inside the CPU. All 3rd generation (Ivy Bridge) Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs will have an Intel HD 4000. However, the actual clockspeed (which affects performance) does vary from specific CPU model to CPU model. Intel's 4th generation (Haswell) Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs have the Intel HD 4400 or HD 4600 both of which are more powerful than the HD 4000.

Intel CPUs basically have powerful CPU cores, but a relatively weak (compared to AMD) iGPU core. On the other hand AMD's APU (their name for CPUs with integrated graphics cores) have relatively weak CPU cores, and more powerful iGPU cores. Not all AMD iGPU cores are more powerful than the Intel HD 4400 / HD 4600 iGPUs so you cannot just blindly pick any laptop with an AMD APU.

What is you budget and what's more important to you? A more powerful CPU core for intensive CPU like video encoding, but a weaker iGPU core which means lower game performance? Or a more powerful iGPU core for better game performance, but weaker CPU core which means CPU intensive tasks like video encoding will take longer to finish?

While AMD's APUs can have the most powerful iGPU core, they are still considered weak when compared to a discrete graphics chip.

Angel-Face241

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013

Too be honest, I dont know what all the accronyms stand for, but yes, I would like my gaming performance to be best. What kind of laptops would you reccommend? If you coculd give me specific make and model it would really help me on my search.
Much appreciated.