Intel hd 4000, Rome II

Josh Rodgers

Estimable
Jul 26, 2015
Ive heard that I can share memory with my integrated GPU to increase performance of Rome II. Is this true and if so how do I do it?

Solution
Realize it or not, you are already doing it. Integrated graphics chips don't really have their own pool of memory to use, so instead they use the system memory. A portion of this is segmented for use just by the iGPU.

For example, if you have 8 GB of system memory, but you check with a monitor and it says you only have something like 7.5 GB for example, it is because the 0.5 GB is allocated for the integrated graphics.

Is this a laptop or desktop system you are using? If it is a laptop, unfortunately you may not be able to change the amount of RAM dedicated to it. Although, in my laptop when I increased the RAM I had, it likewise allocated more to the integrated graphics. I don't have any options in my laptop though to increase this...

IInuyasha74

Honorable
Realize it or not, you are already doing it. Integrated graphics chips don't really have their own pool of memory to use, so instead they use the system memory. A portion of this is segmented for use just by the iGPU.

For example, if you have 8 GB of system memory, but you check with a monitor and it says you only have something like 7.5 GB for example, it is because the 0.5 GB is allocated for the integrated graphics.

Is this a laptop or desktop system you are using? If it is a laptop, unfortunately you may not be able to change the amount of RAM dedicated to it. Although, in my laptop when I increased the RAM I had, it likewise allocated more to the integrated graphics. I don't have any options in my laptop though to increase this amount in BIOS. If you have a desktop, you can change this amount, but you would be better off buying a dedicated GPU, as even a $50 GPU would give considerably better performance.

One more thing, although the maximum amount of memory that can be allocated to the Intel HD 4000 graphics is 2 GB, most systems I have encountered do not allow for more than 1 GB to be shared. This is probably because the Intel HD 4000 graphics really can't take advantage of 2 GB of memory, it simply isn't powerful enough to play games at that resolution or with those kinds of settings. 1 GB ends up being plenty.

Solution