Intel HD 5500 Slower On Other Laptop??

Emeryy

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016
So I just upgraded laptops from an Acer Aspire E5-571-53s1 to a Dell Latitude E5450.

They both have Core i5-5200u's with HD 5500. The only differences between the two are the acer had a 768p screen, 4gb ram and a 500gb hard drive, while the Dell has 1080p screen, 8gb ram and a 128gb SSD

I am having problems running the same games on the new laptop that ran fine on the other one. Fore example, on the acer, Minecraft ran 80fps max settings, but the dell only runs at 20fps minimum settings... same with most other games... i know the higher resolution makes a difference but not THIS much.

So what could be the problem? my drivers are all updated, etc. I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem

Solution
Removing the battery should not make a difference, but I do have a system of my own that ran very slowly when I removed the battery. I did not even put the two together till I put the battery back in for something else and my games started to run same as always.

Emeryy

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016

Lower resolution doesn't make more than a 10 fps difference. Perhaps the new ips display needs more gpu power?

Emeryy

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016

No almost everything is the same, I only have a few things installed and task manager says it's the only thing running besides system stuff. This sucks. Most games are unplayable now

Emeryy

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016

No it stays around 60 degrees under load actually according to afterburner. And yes I tried 768p it makes a small difference but not near what the acer was doing

Emeryy

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016

The gpu is integrated so I assume it is measured along with the cpu. I checked and the gpu doesn't thermal throttle

RobCrezz

Honorable
Herald
Mar 14, 2013
Thats correct, but you should get a reading for the cpu and gpu in afterburner.

Can you list the clock speeds for both the CPU and GPU when under load also (both available in afterburner).

Emeryy

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016

I'll double check when I get home but I didn't see a temp. I did notice the gpu was at 97-99% load but I didn't check clock speed. The Cpu was at about half load which I would expect for gaming, it was on high performance mode so cpu clock was locked at 2.2ghz

Emeryy

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016

Will do when I get home

Emeryy

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016

i can't check gpu clock speed on afterburner. all the sliders on the left are darked out (unusable) and the graphs on the right don't show it.

UPDATE: I got GPU-Z and played through a game real quick and saw some interesting things

temp: never went above 70

Power usage never went above 1.6W

Memory usage: under 300MB used out of the 4gb of shared mem

Load: near 100%

core clock: 900MHz (highest)

Emeryy

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016

I've tried both, no difference because they are both set to high power. One thing though: my old laptop had a battery that was more easily accessible so i usually removed it when playing games, does that make a difference? I can't really remove this battery in the dell because the charger isn't really secure and slips out sometimes and I don't want to lose data

Removing the battery should not make a difference, but I do have a system of my own that ran very slowly when I removed the battery. I did not even put the two together till I put the battery back in for something else and my games started to run same as always.

Solution