Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
Hello there !

HP g62 a80sv
Intel core i3 cpu @ 2.13
Intel (R) HD graphics
4gb RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 (disabled)

I was given this laptop around 5-6 years ago, informed that the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 graphics card was burnt. Trusting this info, i've been using the laptop ever since with the integrated HD graphics card and so far so good. When i formated my laptop and installed new OS, i accidentally installed the drivers for the ATI card, thus activating it, resulting in a black screen while the laptop still operating just fine. Using safe mode I disabled the ATI card and switched back to Intel HD graphics. So far so good.

I 've seen that quite a few people have had this blackscreen issue with their HP G62 laptops and searching online, i found many videos that suggest a "simple" repair procedure by an (expert, of course) application of heat on the card and so on. On the other hand, i found a bios update on the Intel page reading "Fixes an issue where installing a new ATI Driver over an existing driver or uninstalling an ATI Driver causes the display panel to go black. The only recovery is to restart (reboot) the notebook."

So my question here is : What's the deal with the ATI card ? Should i go to an expert and have it checked ? Is there some way to use the BIOS update to fix the blackscreen issue ? Is there any other kind of fix out there, unbeknownst to me ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi,

I would suggest just taking the laptop to an expert because if the person who gave you the laptop said that the ATI graphics is burnt already, running BIOS update or anything else software related will not solve the problem. But it won't hurt if you also run the BIOS update first before you take it to a local repair shop. :) If you'll take it to a local repair shop they will reflow the ATI GPU that should reactivate the graphics card.

Robinoftherings

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016

Yeah, while it is the safest solution -and you are right by pointing that out- I 'm on a budget here, so i'm trying to see if this really is the issue and not have them check it for no reason (and who knows how much cash).

The person who gave the laptop to me had the same blackscreen issue, so maybe that's his definition of a "burnt" graphics card...which is why i'm having my doubts over this

Robinoftherings

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016

Also check this video out, it really puzzled me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xCFXlsnZFA

Status
Not open for further replies.