Intel HD Graphics display driver causing blackscreen

Missor_Noob

Prominent
Jul 15, 2017
I was playing a game the other day, and my ASUS GL552VW laptop crashed unexpectedly. The error was Video_TDR_Failure. Upon reboot, my laptop blackscreened following the BIOS screen. It boots into safe mode just fine, and I found that disabling the HD graphics driver (HD Graphics 530) prevents my laptop from blackscreening.

The only issue here is that I can no longer play games because my GPU (GTX 960m) can't handle the load. Everything runs at 1-3 FPS.

What I've tried:
Uninstalling the driver in safemode, and reinstalling. I've tried 3 different versions of the driver from the Intel website, the ASUS version from their website, and the generic driver from Windows Update. All resulted in instant blackscreen.
CHKDSK repair (no problems found)
Repair with the windows 10 install disk (no problems found)
Reinstallation of Windows 10 while keeping my files intact
Clean reinstallation of Windows 10

It got to a point where any time I would uninstall the driver, it would reinstall itself at random. I would be browsing the web, or restarting my computer and it would blackscreen. I'd boot into safemode to see the driver is back in the device manager. I would log in after uninstalling the driver in safemode and within 10 seconds it would reinstall itself and blackscreen without any notification. So for now it's just disabled.

At this point I'm thinking that there's an issue with my CPU (i7-6700HQ), but I'd like to hear any other suggestions before I shell out the big bucks for repairs.

Missor_Noob

Prominent
Jul 15, 2017

That's the problem. When the hd graphics driver is uninstalled/disabled, games run at 1-3 fps.

Missor_Noob

Prominent
Jul 15, 2017

I haven't, but I don't expect it would change anything as the 960m is my only option since my only other display driver is disabled. I'll give it a try.

Edit: No dice.

TRENDING THREADS