Solved! Intel i5 Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 25, 2018
I currently have a Dell Latitude E6420 with an Intel i5-2450m that quickly rises to 95C and above with any light to moderate load. I had a new cooler put in with a bigger fan and copper shims to no avail. (work was done by a local shop, the guys does very good work, brought several different computers to him and they always come back working well) I have made sure to keep the exhaust outlet clear and free of dust. Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated. Both me and the repair tech are stumped.

Solution
So it is the CPU then that is getting way to hot. It may well be there is no way around it other than replacement. It sounds like you have tried just about everything else.
Dec 25, 2018
Unfortunately I have had a brand new heat sink with a bigger and faster fan installed. We also put in new thermal paste it seemed to have to little to no effect at all. The laptop still overheats. Is there any other information I could provide on the system that might spark ideas?

Dec 25, 2018
When I talked to the guy he said that he did some researching through dell and they posted something stating an issue with the stock fan not cooling properly. The fan is a dell recommended fan and cooling. That is part of the reason we are so stuck. We aren't sure if it is the fan or the paste or what. I'm just really confused about this computer. Thanks for looking into my problem.

Dec 25, 2018
Any other brand ideas? I have put in one ADDA (I think that's the way to spell it) fan assembly with heat sink in and that didn't work and I have tried two BRAND NEW Dell fans specifically to correct this problem. I"m kinda just wondering if maybe something else is defective that I am not seeing. I heard something that the cpu may be running at to high of a voltage or maybe the chip is defective. With the voltage idea, I have never messed with any thing like overclocking or undervolting and to be honest I am not really familiar with how to do that stuff properly. I can do hardware and software and that is about it.

Dec 25, 2018
I forgot to mention, when I had the original fan removed and the ADDA fan put in it was exactly the same as before, overheating to where it shuts off in over temp. I had my tech guy order the first dell fan and he installed it and everything which allowed it to idle around 70-75C (I use Speccy for temp readings) and when I open anything it will quickly skyrocket to 95-100C. We contacted Dell and they sent us a different one that was free of charge and designed for the computer and issue, they said I wasn't the only one with this issue but once the fan was installed there shouldn't be any other issues. We installed that one with the same results. We re-pasted it and made sure the fan was spinning good. I can feel a much better flow of VERY hot exhaust from the fan outlet since putting in the first and second Dell fans, that is why I think there might be a problem with the chip. I'm just completely stumped.

When it comes to overclocking and such, not my thing. :) So I can't answer on that. Never felt the need for it myself.

Then something isn't right. If it is putting off that much heat, even with the fan running so much, then it likely isn't the fan. Nothing should be heating up that much. Have you guys changed the thermal paste on the other items as well? Or just the fan?

Dec 25, 2018
Yes we changed the paste on the GPU chip as well. The original fan assembly had two contacts on the single pipe but the new one has two, one for the CPU and one for the GPU, both on separate pipes. The GPU temp stays relatively low and goes up to around 70C and usually stays there. But the CPU is the overheating one. That goes 95 to 100C. So I know the GPU isn't the problem.

Dec 25, 2018
Yeah that's why I went to a forum. I wasn't sure if there was anything left for me to do but I figured I'd ask. So the CPU is most likely faulty?

Status
Not open for further replies.