Intel V AMD

Invisipixel

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015
I'm about to build my first computer and I'm trying to learn all the fancy words that the experts understand. From my limited knowledge though it seems as though a higher number of cores and a higher clock speed are the two most important factors when choosing a processor. So why doesn't everyone go to AMD with their higher speeds, higher number of cores, and lower prices? Thanks.

Solution
AMD cores do not perform as well as Intel cores and most software does not utilize that many cores. I have a 3rd generation Intel i5 that still beats AMDs newest processors in any benchmarks. Where the 8 core AMD processors will perform better is with programs that will utilize all of the cores. You should read some of Tom's articles on processors, plenty of good info to help educate yourself.

OriginalCadaver

Estimable
May 24, 2014
AMD cores do not perform as well as Intel cores and most software does not utilize that many cores. I have a 3rd generation Intel i5 that still beats AMDs newest processors in any benchmarks. Where the 8 core AMD processors will perform better is with programs that will utilize all of the cores. You should read some of Tom's articles on processors, plenty of good info to help educate yourself.

Solution

Mr5oh

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004

Yeah you definitely need to research and look into benchmarks. In the past, clock speeds were "everything" today, not so much. The thing you also need to remember with cores, is that if the software isn't taking advantage of multiple cores, the extra ones are doing anything for you.

I would suggest you start by comparing some CPUs here:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

It's worth noting the CPU at the top of that chart is only running at 2.30 GHz, to show you how little clock speed matters in regards to overall performance. It matters, just don't assume because one chip is 5.0 Ghz, and the other is 3.5 GHz, that the 5 is automatically better.