Intensive games making microphone buzz

Jake_2

Estimable
Aug 29, 2015
Hi guys, when playing intensive games, my friends are telling my my mic makes an unbearable buzzing/whining noise. It happens on overwatch and the witcher 3, but I can play deus ex HR fine, how do I stop it?

here's a recording with overwatch open http://vocaroo.com/i/s1tt3WuuHkqz

Solution
The 500B and 650W NEXG ('G1') from EVGA are both in tier three, which means you can expect similar quality. If you are lucky, they may be different enough in design to solve your issue.

InvalidError

Distinguished
My best guess is that electrical noise from the CPU, GPU or PSU is finding its way to the microphone input amplifier. If you are using the front panel microphone input, try switching to the rear microphone input, see if eliminating the internal wiring to the motherboard header helps.

If that does not help, you have three other options:
- use an external amplifier for your microphone and plug it in the line-in input which should be less susceptible to noise
- get an external audio adapter to isolate the ADC from noise within your PC
- get a USB headset which has its own ADC/DAC built-in

You could also try to hunt down the noise within your PC but this may require swapping out the PSU, GPU and motherboard to find which component or combination thereof is responsible for generating the noise.

Jake_2

Estimable
Aug 29, 2015

My rear port is actually worse, but my PSU has been making some bad noises recently, I've got a new one coming tomorrow morning. I'll report back when it's replaced if theres no change

InvalidError

Distinguished
What PSU do you have now and what are you replacing it with? (Provide the brand and full model number since many brands have models from great to junk and similar model numbers which mean completely different things from different vendors.)