Solved! Internet 'connected' but cant connect

adermorl

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015
Yesterday my Windows 10 laptop started having some issues. All of a sudden, my laptop wont have any internet connection. I can be browsing and all of a sudden i cant load any pages or do anything internet based. I try to ping google.com but get 4 x 'General Failure'. I try starting and stopping the WiFi on the laptop however it does not fix it. I know that it is not a router issue as ive experienced the issue at two different places now.

The only way I've found i can get the connection back is by restarting the laptop, however when restarting its just hanging on the restart screen. This only seems to happen when i get the WiFi issue as when all is working ok, it restarts as normal.

Solution
This is a tough one to diagnose as it could be a number of things. You may want to check in task manager next time this occurs and look for anything out of the ordinary going on, such as high CPU or memory usage, the CPU downclocking, or suspicious processes. Check your disk health, run Malwarebytes and other anti virus scans, and make sure your drivers are all updated. Also check you CPU temps.

BadActor

Estimable
Herald
This is a tough one to diagnose as it could be a number of things. You may want to check in task manager next time this occurs and look for anything out of the ordinary going on, such as high CPU or memory usage, the CPU downclocking, or suspicious processes. Check your disk health, run Malwarebytes and other anti virus scans, and make sure your drivers are all updated. Also check you CPU temps.

Solution

adermorl

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015

Thanks. Currently got Mcaffee scan running and Malwarebytes is next in line. Ill check task manager next time it happens

adermorl

Estimable
Feb 6, 2015

Its happening with both.

Update: Just ran Malwarebytes scan and its found 88 things that have gone in to quarantine. One of these happens to be 'DNSUnlocker' which would make sense with internet issues. Hopefully this is my issue sorted!