Internet Explorer 9 Will Never Work on XP

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pcxt21

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
Meh, Xp is just another old OS, MS should cut all support and bury it. I always felt that XP is just a bloated version of Windows 2000.

Dyseman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
[citation][nom]pcxt21[/nom]Meh, Xp is just another old OS, MS should cut all support and bury it. I always felt that XP is just a bloated version of Windows 2000.[/citation]
True... So True

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]axilon[/nom]This is more or less a 'corporations' need to move to windows 7 for IE 9.[/citation]

Hows that?

I work for a fortune 500 company and we are happy enough with IE6/Firefox 3.6 running in XP SP3, there is no plan to upgrade any time soon.

The TCO of a P4 is low enough if you use it for 10 years.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
So upgrade to Windows 7! It's an OS that doesn't suck...unlike Vista. Plus, it looks a lot nicer and is more user-friendly. To everyone else...stop being so afraid of change! Change is good!

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]So upgrade to Windows 7! It's an OS that doesn't suck...unlike Vista. Plus, it looks a lot nicer and is more user-friendly. To everyone else...stop being so afraid of change! Change is good![/citation]

Some of us don't like the user friendliness that i call Dummifying. Some of us are happy on our GUIs that don't really want to be forced to change. If MS wouldn't change everything every release. maybe we'd have incentive to upgrade. Namely myself, one thing i like about OSX is that it doesn't change much in terms of usability when you upgrade. things aren't moved around.

but however i don't like OSX much so I won't be changing to OSX. i'll stick with XP. I'll go to Vista before i go to windows 7 anyday.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Building a modern browser requires a modern operating system

I had XP on a very nice machine..filled to the rafter with all the recommended updates. It was also dual-core.

On this machine I installed IE - it was the slowest, ugliest web-browser I have ever used in my entire life. I took it off..several other friends did the same, for the same reasons.

Come up with something better - with what you already have, instead of trying to sell junk. It might have worked for things like IE 8.0 and Vista, but so many people getting so pissed off with these new releases, I just wonder how long you can keep doing this stuff.

When I get my new CPU and M/B I am going to install Google Chrome. Make me think otherwise, Microsoft.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
The reason companies don't want to upgrade from Xp is, 1. Their users want hardware upgrades and that costs them $$$, 2. Computers at work are for work, not watching you tube all day, why make it easier... :)3. If they let you go, that is your salary as their bonus.

fanscale

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Could you please rack off you M$hat FUDBoys. People who come to THG are tech savvy and not likely FUDed into buying Windows 7. Besides it's only a couple of years old if you have service pack 3.
Until Miscrosoft come out with a streamlined version of Windows designed for gamers you won't get another penny out of me.
Windows 95 was a good OS, I bought it. Windows XP was a good OS I bought it twice. Windows 7 looks like it was written by noob programmers, get lost.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom] i'll stick with XP. I'll go to Vista before i go to windows 7 anyday.[/citation]

ummm yeah go from outdated windows xp to a crappier os then xp...thats progress for you. all you dumbasses that are sticking with xp and making comments like youll move to vista next really are stupid. i guess vista was made as a step up for stupidity, and youll upgrade to a good o/s , namely windows 7 at the end of its lifecycle

kingsize1978

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
Good thing I don't use IE. As for Windows XP, i still have luv for this OS. Most stable-reliable Windows OS out there. I have Win 7, but still tend to use the XP mode to do most of my everyday tasks.

freeman70

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Always the rant about ditching XP and upgrading Window 7. Enough talk about the latest and greatest. I am not going to pay over US$400 to upgrade the 3 computers my family uses. There is no Win 7 family pack offered in the country I live. For all intents and purposes, Windows XP seems to run fine with the exception of few security concerns. I haven't had a machine crash in over a year. If they really push me, I will just dual boot with linux or run XP in linux using virtualbox. Lastly, why would I want to pay US$135 to update an Windows XP Atom N270 netbook that I can buy for US$300 now. It's just an OS. You click the icons and run the programs. Get over it.

P.S. I am still leery about buying Win 7 after that recent article which highlighted that Win 7 would take an extra 30 seconds to boot if you choose a solid color for your desktop background. It didn't inspire confidence.

http://lifehacker.com/5451159/solid+color-backgrounds-cause-30+second-login-delay-in-windows-7

Cons29

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
ditch an old os? sure, if you have the money. one thing i dont like is MS doing things to force consumers to upgrade to win7. did they release a patch that caused BSOD? i'd appreciate it if their way of convincing consumers comes in a form like lowering prices of win7.
but using ie9? as if it's the best and only browser out there. if some dont want to ditch xp yet, let them keep it.

Rorick

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]Some of us don't like the user friendliness that i call Dummifying. Some of us are happy on our GUIs that don't really want to be forced to change. If MS wouldn't change everything every release. maybe we'd have incentive to upgrade. Namely myself, one thing i like about OSX is that it doesn't change much in terms of usability when you upgrade. things aren't moved around. but however i don't like OSX much so I won't be changing to OSX. i'll stick with XP. I'll go to Vista before i go to windows 7 anyday.[/citation]

Wait...... how much as the windows Os's changed in usability, layout, and looks? it really hasn't change all that much in terms of layout sence windows 95. yeah looks a little cleaner with each New windows and a few things changed (nothing that really should be affecting people) but overall, is piratically the same.

The only major changes that happen with the windows os's is under the hood.

As for switching to vista before 7, why do that? I could understand if you have programs well written for vista. although from the way you're talking, you dont.

cobra5000

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
What is up w/these XP bashing posts? On Tom's here? Common sense that will tell you, 7 is still BRAND NEW and the Vista was PURE CRAP! The only time most end-users upgrade their OS is when they buy a new computer. Why should i blow $100 bucks to use a browser that i never use?

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]xbeater[/nom]Truly though this seems more like a nice excuse for Microsoft to start getting rid of Windows XP.[/citation]

they did the same thing with windows 2000 years ago. there was no version of IE7 for that. but Firefox, chrome, etc. still are supporting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.