Internet Explorer 9 Will Never Work on XP

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgillispie

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
[citation][nom]Silverblue[/nom]Maybe so, but some of us simply cannot afford a new OS. Unless, of course, you're willing to buy copies for the less fortunate?[/citation]

Many of us bought our upgrade copy to Windows 7 for $49 during the pre-sale. I personally bought 3 at that price.

jgillispie

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Pure nonsense. Firefox still supports Windows 2000, Opera still supports it as well, and also Windows 98 and Windows ME.A lot of the people here like to sound cool and criticize people who prefer to stay with older software they are comfortable with. I know you guys like to sound smart and cool, and use this as a way, but, realistically, you don't know much of anything. People get comfortable with something, and they don't need to change it if it isn't broken. I personally don't like retraining people because Microsoft found another bad way of presenting things. There really hasn't been any use for a new operating system since Windows 2000, but Microsoft has to keep making them so they can generate more money. They could make tweaks, of course, but, really, the UI changes haven't been good (almost all techs I know go back to the "classic look"), and the OS is a lot slower and consumes much more memory. Most of all, people are comfortable with their old OS, and the new one doesn't do anything it couldn't do without relatively minor internal tweaks.[/citation]

This whole posts of someone that doesn't understand the connection between software and hardware and is scared of any change.

There is no nonsense about it. If you understood the changes coming, you would see why the OS will no longer function properly. Go ahead and keep running CS4 on Windows 2000 with 1 GB of RAM and 4x AGP and let me know how that works for you. You're post is flat out wrong and based on opinion.

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
for those of you that say it's about time we buried the XP and move to a new OS, tell that to all the companies who have invested 6 years buying WinXP computers and tell them to replace them. It's easier said than done considering this economy. To move from XP to Vista/7 is a huge ordeal for companies.

thlillyr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]jgiron[/nom]for those of you that say it's about time we buried the XP and move to a new OS, tell that to all the companies who have invested 6 years buying WinXP computers and tell them to replace them. It's easier said than done considering this economy. To move from XP to Vista/7 is a huge ordeal for companies.[/citation]

Dude just cause support gets dropped for a browser does not mean you have to imediatly buy new computers. It just means the next computer bought is the newsest thing. You already have to buy a new one anyway becuse of the age of the hardware. Most major companies plan for this. They build an xp set up use it for 5-8 yeas then they develop a new system and implement he new stuff.
Small companies do this to. They just complain about it more cause they don't have money. I know I run one.

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
jn77

don't forget the fact that vista is a total screw up and that some update (on win7 & vista )

As a computer tech. i feel that Vista is like win 98.

A lot of stalls and waste of time....(because of poorly written code)

While xp still stable after 10 years (although some update problems been noted lately....) poor MS

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
They cant get rid of Windows XP, cause it works (for the most part). Microsoft has nixed themselves out of their own market. I dont think you'll see an update to WIndows 7 for the next 10 years.

pochacco007

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
this is a public declaration that microsoft will no longer care for windows xp users. this is also a public declaration that microsoft wants other developers to give more support for xp users. so this means more opportunity for firefox, opera and other web browsers to become more popular for xp users as more people will be restricted from accessing internet explorer 9.

there are people who are not enthusiastic about upgrading for the sake of surfing the internet. alternative browsers will become big for xp users who were dedicated or frequently who uses internet explorer.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I've worked with 3 software development companies over the past 6 months and they all still use XP as their development OS. There is just no reason to upgrade.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Getting voted down because I said that some people cannot afford to upgrade from XP... lol.

Let me put this in perspective. I want Windows 7 yet I a) cannot afford it, and b) won't get a warez copy unlike some people. This will also necessitate getting more RAM as 7 has higher requirements than XP. It also requires a brand new video capture card as the previous one is only supported in (guess) XP.

If I can't afford it, I can't afford it. Who has the right to say otherwise?

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]jgillispie[/nom]Many of us bought our upgrade copy to Windows 7 for $49 during the pre-sale. I personally bought 3 at that price.[/citation]

I admit, I did see this at the time. However, back then I had even less spare change than I do now... :|

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
The only reason that I'm going to eventually need IE9 is for testing web development. But at least I can write it off on my taxes. Or even better, get my work to pay for it.

G

You know what i love xp i have a laptop with windows 7 premium and a home pc with xp and my home computer is faster more reliable better with the internet and games the only thing windows 7 is a flashy new way of saying ms wants more money and vista sucks ... every vista version i have used either crashes slow or i have problems installing programs so ill stick with my good old xp.

Edited for language enhancement ... :)

G

Market share:

Windows XP 56.72%
Windows 7 20.87%
Vista 12.11%

As you can see, XP has more than crappy Vista and than 7 together... so it won't die soon.
Eat your heart out Microsoft.

G

Windows 7 is bull!!! It's supposed to be better but I used a windows 7 machine (brand new!!) thing crashed 3 times cuz i put in an sd card >.>... I'm doing something a whole lot cooler though i think it would be illegal to distribute. I'm taking windows XP and upgrading it by hand...WIndows AI, the instructions and upgraded components will b free like updating to sp3 was and it's guaranteed to run faster on less than 7 ever could.

G

I remember the 'Win 98' fanatics, now most have embraced Win 7. Me I am a Vista fan it is so vast, Many just cannot get their head around it. But I am planning on a Win 7 64 bit upgrade in the very near future, Always check if your 'mobo' (motherboard) can handle your current or intended O/S.

Status
Not open for further replies.