Internet Security Suites

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

melgish

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
Alas I wasn't looking for off-the-cuff opinions, however informed and accurate, nor was I looking for freeware.

Instead I'm seeking the exacting test conditions, repeatable benchmarks and 32 bit color bar graphs :) worthy of the tomshardware community.

Millions of corporate and home users, their machines all bogged down by poorly-written, but absolutely necessary security software. And nobody's figured out once and for all who's on top, and who's not?

Zoron

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Trend Micro has picked up CWShredder.

<A HREF="http://www.trendmicro.com/cwshredder/" target="_new">Here it is on their website.</A>

Last updated May 2005.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

riser

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Ahh that's cool. I didn't hear anything about them picking it up since the guy said he was done with it.

I'll have to keep that in mind.. how long did ago did they pick it up? I want to say in September of '04 is when the guy stopped updating it..

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
yeah panda works real nice.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
LiteOn 52X/LiteOn 811s DVD-RW
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
And nobody's figured out once and for all who's on top, and who's not?
Heh heh...We know who. The maleware and virus writers are on top, otherwise we wouldn't need any of this shyte.

....WW (5.1)

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
is it me or does Panda Not seem that popular?

i mean i gotta admit i never heard of it till my cousin told me about it, he used it for his office at work. But i never really see tons of good stuff on it. I know personally the app rocks cause i use it, but everywhere you go it's always NORTON NORTON NORTON!

how come panda isn't out there more. just curious.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
LiteOn 52X/LiteOn 811s DVD-RW
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Panda is one that I have never tried. Once I rid my machine of Norton a couple years ago I decided to look for a free AV solution. After trying several different ones I found AVAST to work best for me and the programs I have installed.

Norton and McAffee ship with a great deal of the computers people buy which undoubtably gives them a jump on the percentage of people using them. However, if you have several machines the renewal fees will kill you and as many people have found, these programs conflict with other installed software or bog down their machine too much for their liking. Most people that get away from these two main programs are those that have become more computer savvy with experience...especially since it basically takes a reformat to remove them.

....WW (5.1)

Jake_Barnes

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003
I use avast! with ZA ... with no problems. I add: Spybot, Ad-Aware, SpywareBlaster (killbits/blocker), and a free version of SpySweeper - btw, the new build of MSAS is full of bugs, I uninstalled it ... (I also use an enhanced HOSTS file with an added blocking list (reg).

<b>"The Edge - there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." Hunter S. Thompson, </b><b><i>Hell's Angels, 1965</i></b>

Zoron

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I'm not sure. All I know is that it will still update on it's own if you click the update button.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

Jake_Barnes

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003
Yes ... "Merijn" (a cool Dutch programer) originally wrote CWShredder ... to combat the Coolwebsearch trojan ... but it mutates so fast that he stopped trying to keep up with it. He sold the app to Intermute ... who was just purchased by Trend Micro ...

CWShredder (v2.15) still works for a lot of the Coolwebsearch trojan variants ... which exploited, primarily, Microsoft's version of Java (M$ Virtual Machine) ... but not so much Sun's full Java. It's still worth the price - free.

There is a lot still available from <A HREF="http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html" target="_new">Merijn.org</A> ... the most advanced being his HijackThis ... but that is for advanced users only ...

<b>"The Edge - there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." Hunter S. Thompson, </b><b><i>Hell's Angels, 1965</i></b>

riser

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
I've known of Panda since '99.. I heard about it from a friend.

It's all based in Europe.. and they don't do advertising like Mcafee or Norton.. and it's not something you just pick up in the store. You have to order from them or download off their site.

It keeps like pricing cheap, kind of like No-Ad Sunscreen.

They have really good products, they're better than most, but they're relying on word of mouth for the most part.

Back when Win98 was around.. norton and mcafee could easily eat up 10-15% of your system.. if you checked the System Performance thing.

Panda used from 0% to 2%.. it was awesome. They were the first to come up with the "scan once, and if it's never modified, don't scan it" approach. Since then, everyone else jumped on the band wagon.

Panda pricing is going up though.. as I think they're feeling the heat in not advertising as much, they need their revenue.

Panda Titanium used to be 20 dollars for a year.. now it's like 20 dollars for 6 months?

It used to be really cheap.. but then, the market is driving that. A lot of european people have heard about it or use it.. and that's it main market base from my understanding. Check out their website and everything goes to europe.. though it's all in english.