Solved! Internet speed issue

dkrwireless

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
I am not the biggest computer wizard but for the most part I am able to figure it out with help from these forums, but I am utterly lost.
Internet has all of a sudden slowed to a nearly unusable state. I have switched connection from my WiFi to my phone's mobile hotspot to no avail. I turned off my computers built in adapter and plugged in a working usb wireless adapter and still nothing.
So I've ruled out my isp, router, and wireless hardware as being the culprits.
I have searched for software/processes that might be throttling speed but with my limited knowledge I am unable to locate anything.
I need help/ideas as to what else might be the issue. It's the weekend, I was planning on gaming it away but w.o internet I can't do anything.
Windows 10 os

Solution
I know you said the speed was fine when you tried it elsewhere. However, have you tried using yours via Ethernet rather than WiFi?

And you didn't mention if you have run checks for viruses or spyware. They are different than malware. A good spyware one is "Spybot" and there are many good antivirus ones like AVG, Avira, Avast, etc.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from dkrwireless : "Internet slow on one laptop (many fixes tried)"

Have you tried updating your drivers and also checked the computer for anything else that may be running on it and using the internet? It is not unheard of for a sneaky program, virus, malware, etc,. to be slowing it down.

Also, if you haven't tried rebooting in a while (many people never turn theirs off) I would try this as well.

dkrwireless

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
@webworkings
I have run scans multiple times to check for malware but nothing has come up.
As far as software that uses the internet there isn't anything that I can identify as a possible culprit, the same programs as normal, but when I go into processes it might as well be Greek. I don't know what should and should not be running and I am hesitant to start ending processes that might be essential.
I am getting less than 1 mbps down and up, and I can't identify the problem.

I know you said the speed was fine when you tried it elsewhere. However, have you tried using yours via Ethernet rather than WiFi?

And you didn't mention if you have run checks for viruses or spyware. They are different than malware. A good spyware one is "Spybot" and there are many good antivirus ones like AVG, Avira, Avast, etc.

Solution