iOS 10 on unsupported device?

That 1 Guy

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016
Hello,

I have an iPad 3rd Gen and I'm not looking to upgrade it (I'm getting a laptop). So I'll have this for about a year. It's on iOS 9 and I want to upgrade it to iOS 10.3, but it's unsupported. Now I do have a thing to install Betas (e.g. iOS 10.3 Beta 6), but is it safe? The program is safe, but maybe the iPad is unsupported because the OS might break it or something. Anyone know anything on this topic?

Thanks!

Solution
Well, ZDNet just had an article about the upcoming upgrade (http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-get-your-iphone-or-ipad-ready-for-ios-10-3/), & it mentions that everyone really want to make sure they do a full backup of their device before the upgrade, because they're changing from the old HFS+ file system architecture to their new "Apple File System"...& it changes the file structure of every file on your device (photos, music, apps, everything), so there's the bigger chance of a glitch during the upgrade scrambling everything on the phone to the point that it's unrecoverable without using a backup.

I can't imagine the "beta" would be any less risky, so you may want to consider foregoing the update.

spdragoo

Distinguished
Herald
Oct 17, 2011
Well, ZDNet just had an article about the upcoming upgrade (http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-get-your-iphone-or-ipad-ready-for-ios-10-3/), & it mentions that everyone really want to make sure they do a full backup of their device before the upgrade, because they're changing from the old HFS+ file system architecture to their new "Apple File System"...& it changes the file structure of every file on your device (photos, music, apps, everything), so there's the bigger chance of a glitch during the upgrade scrambling everything on the phone to the point that it's unrecoverable without using a backup.

I can't imagine the "beta" would be any less risky, so you may want to consider foregoing the update.

Solution

That 1 Guy

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016
Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to back up my iPhone and iPad. But is it safe to update my iPad if it is unsupported? For example: The hardware may cause it to glitch out. Or is it just because Apple wants me to upgrade to a newer devise. In that case I'll just update.