iOS 4.2.1 Jailbreak Released; Unlock Coming Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
This is a good start, allow the user to actually use THEIR purchased hardware as they see fit. Only odd that they have to void warranty in order to be able to free it from the grasp!

uruquiora

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
user : "allow the user to actually use THEIR purchased hardware as they see fit"
Steve: " what ?? what ??? i can't hear you ! say it again ????!!!"

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
and how many people bought the phoen OFF contract? not to play devils advocate but if you buy a phoen on contract through carrier subsidies of coarse they aren't gonna want you to unlock the device while under said contract time.

solution is just use things like virgin mobile or boost if thats hwo you feel and if you wanna bring an unlocked device like this article says unlock it yourself and accept that the warrenty is gone

G

i bought my iPhone4 without a contract, cost me some cash upfront but in the long run i don't have any ridiculous monthly fees.
the best part: the phone is sim unlocked, making it a fully functional gadget anywhere in the world, without any limitations by any carrier (yes, internet-tethering, i'm looking at you.)

i cannot understand why everyone is such a sheep and goes for the contract rather than the truly free variant. maybe $800 seems a bit much for a phone right upfront, but then you shouldn't be getting the phone in the first place, as it will cost more over the next 12 months...

G

@ElectricalFireStorm

and yet apple will still brick it if you ever jailbreak it

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]This is a good start, allow the user to actually use THEIR purchased hardware as they see fit. Only odd that they have to void warranty in order to be able to free it from the grasp![/citation]
I'm assuming you purchased your iPhone in the USA. If this is true then you agreed to a lifetime contract that says you must use the device on AT&T and nobody else. It doesn't matter if you pay full price or get a carrier discount. Nobody forced you to buy an iPhone so get over it.

vant

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Getting pass the warranty being 'voided' is easy. Simply restore the software. Duh? It's not like jailbreaking is a one way street. Android users root (jailbreak) their phones also, same situation.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]vant[/nom]Getting pass the warranty being 'voided' is easy. Simply restore the software. Duh? It's not like jailbreaking is a one way street. Android users root (jailbreak) their phones also, same situation.[/citation]
Many Android phones can be rooted while keeping the bootloader locked. There is an app in the Google Marketplace that lets you do this on the Samsung Captivate. This way the warranty remains intact and you can install whatever variant of Android you want on the device.

Status
Not open for further replies.