IPAD air vs Surface RT 2

Vafangool

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
any opinions on what you guys think is better? I just went to bust buy door buster sale and I got an IPAD air, the surface 2 was sold out... I got the IPAD air so I could give my mother the old Ipad 2 I had. But now I feel like I maybe just spent 450 dollars and its the same thing like I had before. If I would have bought the surface 2 I would have kept my IPAD 2., But now if I exchange the ipad air and get a surface 2 than I wont have an IPAD anymore...What does everyone think is better, IPAD air or Surface 2 RT ..??? Thanks guys and I hope everyone had a happy thanksgiving...

D1vad

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

You really aren't telling us enough about how you actually use your iPad, day to day. I bought into the iPad long enough ago that I have a Grandfather AT&T data plan. I was really looking forward to an iPad Air, but in my opinion Apple is/has become everything that Microsoft has long been accused of being. I decide to do something different this year and upgraded my iPad 3 not to the Air but rather a Surface Pro 2 512 GB. The thing I miss most about my Jailbroken iPad 3 is the Status bar at the top of the page. And okay the mail program is better on the iPad in my opinion. My Surface Pro 2 is however a real PC! with a functional USB 3.0 port, and a microSDXC slot.

Back to your question, if you are happy with an unjailbroken device, then I would go with the Air over a Surface 2. But for me, when Apple decided that I could no longer run the IOS of my choice, it lost a lot of its value to me. With my original iPad and the Camera Connection kit I could attach USB drives, and even my iPod to it. Then Apple took that feature away without notice. I've never been happy with plan obsolescence. The Air is simply more mature than the locked down Surface 2 is. Hope that helps.

Vafangool

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
I just use it for basic stuff, browse the internet, watch movies and read books. I just love how the surface has that nice thin keyboard that acts as a cover and has USB too. I have to admit the ipad air is real nice

D1vad

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

Define your use of power here. Certainly the i5 in my Surface Pro 2 is more "powerful" than the iPad Air's processor. But this is NOT the processor in the Surface 2. The Surface 2 at the moment can't claim to have better battery life than the iPad. Add a couple Bluetooth devices and watch what it does to the Wi-Fi throughput.

In my honest opinion you don't or shouldn't buy a device based on some future driver upgrade... As of today I'd buy an Air over a Surface 2, and a Surface Pro 2 over an Air.

D1vad

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

You understand then that with the Surface RT and Surface 2 you will be abandoning iTunes and iBooks? I'm running the Amazon Kindle app, on my Surface Pro 2 (and for the books I enjoy it's cheaper ~ might not be such a good thing as I'm buying more books.) I also have the option of running iTunes, even if its not setup for touch.. I've got high speed internet connection from Time Warner because of driver issues streaming from Amazon just isn't acceptable. But works okay with Flixster On the pro browsing is very enjoyable once again, but someone else on a Surface 2 has issues loading HuffibgtonPost.con it crashes his IE.

I'm still waiting for my keyboard, but there are issues with the keyboard driver... Given time I believe Microsoft will address the driver issues.

Vafangool

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
I don't really care about iBooks or iTunes. I use the kindle app as well, but I also have a kindle fire hd. Both devices are basically good for what I do. I do love how the air is so light and the retina display is awesome. Only the surface 2 pro has the i5 processor right? I did't want to spend that much for the surface 2 pro, I bet that it's really nice. I'm happy with the ipad air though. But I will probably end up getting the surface one day..

TRENDING THREADS