IPad for college?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yogi6994

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Hello,
Would an iPad 2 be helpful to a college student majoring in computer science? Or should I wait for the new iPad? Please explain your reasoning. :)
Thanks in advance.

Solution
The only thing useful I can see to have an Ipad for is taking notes in class. After that, I can't think of anything else. Overall, I would wait to see what the courses require. I got a feeling they will need a laptop more than a tablet for my buddy is taking networking courses, and the professors stressed to have a laptop.

runswindows95

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
The only thing useful I can see to have an Ipad for is taking notes in class. After that, I can't think of anything else. Overall, I would wait to see what the courses require. I got a feeling they will need a laptop more than a tablet for my buddy is taking networking courses, and the professors stressed to have a laptop.

Solution

jonathanrhunter

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007
Why on Earth... so you can check your email? so you can check out all your assignments that are coming up on calendar? so you can type essays using the virtual keyboard? so you can watch videos during class? so you can play Angry Birds?

Waste of money for school. Buy a laptop so you can actually do homework that contains formatting in it and doesn't take you all day to type out.

I have an iPad 2. I have a MacBook Pro and PC Laptop. I have a PC desktop...

I would never use my iPad for "school", unless you are happy just being able to surf the internet and read things. In that case, it's perfect!

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I would go for the Mac Book Air if it is in your budget. For college, a laptop is SOOOO helpful. And the 11" compact Air is perfect for school. A friend of mine has been using his for a little over 6 months and loves it.

kajabla

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
I'd take a Lenovo any day. Maybe run Linux :D but yeah, an iPad of any flavor won't be very good for taking notes. Its keyboard just isn't very good. There's not that much you can do with a touchscreen.
Macs are sweet but wildly expensive.

daship

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Short answer.

Hell no. For that amount of money you could get a decent i3-i5 laptop and actually do homework on it.

Ipad is a toy, for internet and reading, and playing childish gmaes, nothing else.

ziuus1

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

+1, I agree, please don't waste your money on the :non: Ipad for your College student. They will benefit from haveing a laptop a whole lot more..

oxt

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
I would have agreed with the nay-saying posters, but my daughter who is a college student has convinced me otherwise. She does have a good laptop - but often doesn't use it. She just doesn't find it worth carrying to campus, class, library, etc. She usually uses an underpowered netbook instead, but if she had an iPad it would be perfect. Seems now she might have been better off with an iPad, and probably a fairly inexpensive desktop for her room. That is in effect what she does now, except it is a notebook in the role of the desktop, and a netbook that goes with her.

ziuus1

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

Yogi's College Student is Majoring in Computer Science. I dought an Ipad2 would be that much of help to him/her. I am pretty sure there will be some Training software he/she will need to load and use and you can't do that on an Ipad2.

Status
Not open for further replies.