iPad Mini May Hurt Android Tablet Vendors

Status
Not open for further replies.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
this is good news...about time....for other companies to keep up they really need to offer better products at competitive prices

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... imagine iPad mini for the lately by apple announced education initiative? ... a maybe 8' tablet with the resolution of the original iPad, to easyer to develop too... put a dualcore in it from iPhone 4s... price it about 199$ for 16Gb and 299$ 32Gb... and apple haz a winner...

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]king_maliken[/nom]Apple and cheap are antonyms, Apple is overpriced dung.[/citation]

People say this so often, and in some cases it's true, like with the Mac desktops or the Macbook Pro's. But the iPad is a different case (as is the iPhone).

You simply cannot buy another tablet which even comes close to the specs of the new iPad. It just doesn't exist. On top of that iOS has far more tablet-specific apps (200,000) than any other platform. It also has the best battery life at 9 hours on 4G. When you take all that into account, what price exactly are you comparing the iPad 3 to? How do you come to the conclusion that it's overpriced when there is no comparable in the market right now?

You may say a laptop is a better option, but is it? They are very different markets. Ultraportable laptops at that price (in fact probably at any price) can't handle gaming at anywhere near the quality of the iPad 3, and would certainly not have the same battery life if they did. They would also be heavier, thicker, and more difficult to use in certain situations such as when walking along. They also lack features like the camera, 4G - they simply aren't comparable.

When a tablet comes out with the same specs, the same number of apps, and the same battery life - and is cheaper, then you can call the new iPad overpriced.

Until then, the sales will inevitably prove you wrong (since true value is dictated by supply/demand).

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
nothing to fear. apple can't compete on price. they need to make way too much markup for their poor dear share holders. SO buy an apple product now and make the shareholders more money today ! they need food you know, without all your money they will all starve.

yannigr

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
I hope they bring out a $200 tablet. I don't care if it will be useless, or with locked features, or with bad screen or without any ports for expansion. I don't care if it is going to be a tablet without a.... screen. I only want it to have a price of $200, call it a tablet and an apple logo.
When that happens all android tablets will take a huge discount and this is what matters!

malicemizer

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]ASUSFTWMOFOS[/nom]Asus Transformer beats the IPADAsus Transformer Prime beats the IPAD 2Asus Transformer tf700 beats the IPAD 3These are the facts and only ISheep believe different.[/citation]

Lol you are a nub on many levels. iPad 3 display is better and has a higher ppi. The iPad has a faster processor and way better graphics. There are no apps or programs that use all 4cores so a quad core tablet is slower when using 99% of anything. Hell iPad even has a better camera even though the 700 has higher megapixels. The 700 reportedly has a 12 hour battery life we will see. So ya you lose.

lesz422

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Asus Transformer beats the IPAD

Asus Transformer Prime beats the IPAD 2

Asus Transformer tf700 beats the IPAD 3

These are the facts and only ISheep believe different

so ASUS make more money then the ipad? more sales?........................let me guess.............Apple may have some dodgy IP rights, but they can make a good product, i sale droid tablets, and trust me, most are sub standard, and turn the customer to a ipad....., which we dont sale

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]ASUSFTWMOFOS[/nom]Asus Transformer beats the IPADAsus Transformer Prime beats the IPAD 2Asus Transformer tf700 beats the IPAD 3These are the facts and only ISheep believe different.[/citation]
... beats in what?

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]lesz422[/nom]Asus Transformer beats the IPADAsus Transformer Prime beats the IPAD 2Asus Transformer tf700 beats the IPAD 3These are the facts and only ISheep believe differentso ASUS make more money then the ipad? more sales?........................let me guess.............Apple may have some dodgy IP rights, but they can make a good product, i sale droid tablets, and trust me, most are sub standard, and turn the customer to a ipad....., which we dont sale[/citation]
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... beats in what?[/citation]

... a jailbroken iOS device beats all of them!!!

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007

The Asus Transformer Prime has a far slower GPU than the iPad 2.

The tr700 which isn't even out until June has a far slower GPU than the third generation iPad. It uses Tegra 3 - the same Tegra 3 Apple claims its GPU is 4x faster than. It also has a lower resolution screen, and lower battery capacity (although a longer claimed battery life).

rajaawad23

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
ipads are not better than android, nor is androids better than ipads.
they are both good at different things, so best cannot be correctly chosen.
android are good at allowing the consumer to customise and chose their own roms and therefor have more control over their own device, unlike ipads which are fairly limited software wise.
ipad 3 may have super display and a better camera but at the end the consumer will never see all the pixels that are available on that screen, simply impossible. this is what makes apple so rich, their products are fashion statements and that is all people want a apple product to impress their friends with.

chronicbint

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
Toms really needs moderators, these droidfags are ruining the site with the trolling and the lame statements based on some kind of alternate superior reality.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]lesz422[/nom]Asus Transformer beats the IPADAsus Transformer Prime beats the IPAD 2Asus Transformer tf700 beats the IPAD 3These are the facts and only ISheep believe differentso ASUS make more money then the ipad? more sales?........................let me guess.............Apple may have some dodgy IP rights, but they can make a good product, i sale droid tablets, and trust me, most are sub standard, and turn the customer to a ipad....., which we dont sale[/citation]

Having had 5 (yes FIVE) Transformer Primes before I threw in the towel I can speak with authority when I say that the Transformer Prime does not match the quality of the iPad. All 5 of mine had screen defects (dead or stuck pixels) and Android (even ICS) is still not as easy to synch as iOS.

Its funny how people who've never had the Transformer Prime KNOW its better than the iPad. Funny...I must've just got 5 lemons eh?

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
It also remains amusing that many THG readers feel anything made by Apple stinx just because it is made by Apple regardless of its inherent characteristics. That's a strange perception from what otherwise seems be a pretty swift demographic.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]rajaawad23[/nom]ipads are not better than android, nor is androids better than ipads.they are both good at different things, so best cannot be correctly chosen.android are good at allowing the consumer to customise and chose their own roms and therefor have more control over their own device, unlike ipads which are fairly limited software wise.ipad 3 may have super display and a better camera but at the end the consumer will never see all the pixels that are available on that screen, simply impossible. this is what makes apple so rich, their products are fashion statements and that is all people want a apple product to impress their friends with.[/citation]

Firstly, iPad is a device, Android is an operating system, so your whole comparison is invalid.

Secondly - just because you are able to install different ROMS on Android tablets doesn't mean you have more control over the device at all. Installing ROMS isn't an end in itself, it should be a means to an end. And what end is that? Installing a different ROM is only a benefit if the existing ROM is not acceptable - hardly a selling point.

What can you do, which is practically beneficial on an Android tablet which you can't on an iPad? Nothing. The opposite, however, is not true - there are several features and numerous apps which are only available on iPad atm.

The fact that the customer will never 'see all the pixels' is precisely the point of a retina display. There is, however, a clear and noticeable improvement in screen quality when comparing, and that is the more relevant point - and the iPad is also capable of playing games at a much higher resolution and in higher quality. The iPad also has longer battery life than most (if not all) Android tablets.

Status
Not open for further replies.