iPed: The Chinese Knock-off iPad Running Android

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]ready4dis[/nom]Can't innovate? And the iPad isn't just a fancier version of tablet PC's and such that have been around for a while now? Nobody innovates anymore, they just take ideas and make small changes. For some reason people think apple innovates, they haven't innovated, they just play to morons who follow like lemmings.[/citation]
Apple can't Innovate? What other 9.7ish inch screen devices run for 10hrs? And get away with 4 buttons and a switch to do all that an ipad does?

And no the ipad isn't a fancier version of a tablet pc, it's a cell phone stretched out.

Also lemmings don't run off cliffs, they make it look like they do so the predator following them only think they did, meanwhile the lemming is chilling on a ledge just off the side of the cliff safely waiting predator to pass.

People that think lemmings actually run off cliffs, are just morons that were tricked into believing a false myth.

G

They ha ha did it, ha ha, but I'm surprised ha ha gunpowder, hanna mass production, ha ha, prefer the OS. There; did I capture all of the stuff discussed in the thread?

choujij

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
-It supports Flash and uses an open OS such as Android
-Has USB support among other card reading capabilities
-It costs less

It's a sad day when a knockoff is so much more better...

ch42832n

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]They've been doing it for years. However, they did invent gunpowder For some reason, for $105, this seems far more useful than the iPad, esp. considering this is running Android.[/citation]

Actually, the Chinese did not invent gunpowder on purpose, they accidentally invented it. They just got lucky.

Moshu78

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
If you'll check the Youtube video from which the picture is taken, the product is called APad, the iPed is the name "replacement" of the iPod software, as seen on the box of the product.

So... double check and correct the title to "APad". Cheers!

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Ive done my reseach into this thing, its battery is absolutely awful.. Around 5 hours.. But still, 100 bucks, you get what you pay for.

G

Bahahaha and it runs Flash XD

It wont be long before I start seeing these flood eBay in mass.
Actually it seems not to be the Android latest version on the video, so no flash from now on ...

cj_online

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
Touch screen fkn blows... I'd take a better touch screen over a decent OS anyday... cuz the whole pt of the device is to give a enjoyable experience that a good quality touch screen, makes possible.

Besides, the Apple OS ain't that bad..

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
"So the Chinese can't innovate, but they can copy?"

I think you have a good assessment of Mr Jobs in general. He has shown a complete inability to innovate and a great ability to copy. With the unconditional support of the US media and the market capitalization that his company has secured as a consequence of it, Mr Jobs can put out in nice packaging and with cheap hardware, anything that has already been developed by someone else and claim it as Apple's invention. The average American is sooo dumbed-down both technologically and analytically that they just believe whatever they are told and rush to buy the work of the propaganda conartist Mr Jobs, the US media poster boy and "genus".

I see nothing wrong with China capitalizing on the propaganda and hype created around the iPad. Historically the Chinese have displayed an uncanny mastery at packaging, and it is precisely here that the con-artist and propagandist Mr Jobs excels. He is a great packager of other people's technology in nice casing.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ch42832n[/nom]Actually, the Chinese did not invent gunpowder on purpose, they accidentally invented it. They just got lucky.[/citation]
A lot of things were created by accident, doesn't really change the fact they were the first to create it accidentally or not.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
On the topic of Android OS in a tablet, is there a legit/quality product that is good for this? I am a little apprehensive of a $100 "intended as knockoff" device, but am interested in Android on a tablet. I've tried the android OS live cd in a VM, but wasn't able to download and install any apps. Plus I am also interested in the GPS aspect with the google GPS navigation app. Does this APad/iPed even have a GPS?

Or is this something that is "coming out" later?

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Correction, it did not launch in Japan - this is a China only product.

Though for $105, honestly this isn't such a bad device. These knockoffs are getting better and better by the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.