iPhone 15 may get USB-C, but the rest of the world isn’t ready for USB-C yet

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 10, 2023
"the world may not be ready for USB-C ports"

The writing was on the wall since 2016. Hell Apple knew this when they forced Macbook users to embrace USB-C in 2016.

ClemCa

Prominent
Dec 15, 2021
Poor research job. Anyone in Europe would have and use a usb a to usb c cable. That's part of owning a phone. So common in fact that beyond having several laying around in their home, it's the meaning of the word "cable". If someone asks you for a cable, without precising, you'd give them a usb a to usb c cable. And not a cheap slow ass adapter, a true cable.

Cmarison

Honorable
Jun 20, 2016
I can't even believe this article is still up. It's completely uniformed, blatantly wrong and needlessly useless. So surprised to see this article on Tom's hardware, this is better suited for a click bait site.

Jan 11, 2023
ROW has been using Android with USB C for the last 5 years.. So BOLD this author.. Such SHAME.. I just registered to this forum specifically to comment on this BASELESS post. If you don't know what you are posting about, do some research.

Jan 11, 2023
If the point of this article was to get everyone that read it so angry that they would take the time to create an account just to leave a message, you've done a great job.
If this article is for real, then I've got to say this is the dumbest article I've ever seen...

Jan 11, 2023
How stupid this article is, I made the account here just to write this comment. I can't even say that apple told them to write in such a way because they are also not that stupid. The way you guys are defending the lightning port doesn't make any sense now. The problems that you described might fool a long term lightning port user and feel bad for usb c, but the majority of us users who understand both the ways will never get fooled by such articles.

Jan 11, 2023
i made an account to post this.
what an embarrassing article....
the world is beyond ready for usb-c support, and iphones should already have it.
you work in tech and you struggled to charge your phone whilst travelling.
take a powerbank with you next time, or just buy the right cords...
truly terrible article.

Jan 11, 2023
i made an account to post this.
what an embarrassing article....
the world is beyond ready for usb-c support, and iphones should already have it.
you work in tech and you struggled to charge your phone whilst travelling.
take a powerbank with you next time, or just buy the right cords...
truly terrible article.
we all did register just to comment. where I'm from ppl complain when it's not USB-C. An American with American view wishes to comment about the rest of the world?? In Asia, we have USB-A plugs built into the wall hence out cables are shipped A-C as a standard. Truly terrible article

Jan 12, 2023
Everything is wrong with the article!
First, instead of buying a type c to a adapter for 8 bucks you could buy a type a to c cable in like half the price, why do it more complicayed then it should be?
Second, about the fact that everywhere there are type a connections instead of c? I need to remind you that they started adding type a connection to places just when they saw that type a becomes too common, type c is on its way too, there are even cars this days that have type c instead of type a there are computers that have type a and c connections and there are laptops with type c connections only

Jan 12, 2023
This was such a bad take. Saying "The world's not ready" is a bit extreme. Portable Chargers exist that do quick charge and I'm baffled that you bought a USB c to a adapter, as others have said a proper cable would have worked better (in theory). I agree that infrastructure needs a refresh to catch up for sure but MOST devices/chargers are Usb-A to X. Maybe give option to both?

As a side note, they should stop shipping cables with phones, because unless you absolutely mangle them they should last for years.

Jan 12, 2023
The rest of the world is already using USB C.
There’s no alternative. Apple is the only one not using it.

This is the dumbest article I’ve read on Toms guide.🤢

The author lives under the rock? Even a non-technical person should know how phone charging cables work.
She was “shocked” on the flight because of this? Come on…

What would you use instead of USB C? Micro USB? Mini USB? 😁 12 plug types, one for each phone brand like 15 years ago??

Last edited:

F-minus

Honorable
Jan 29, 2016
I have been using USB-C since 2015 when I got the LG Nexus 5X and every phone after that was USB-C and I haven't got a single issue charging traveling the world, and I do travel a lot. The world moved to USB-C long ago for devices, only the iPhone branch of Apple is stuck at nonstandard ports, because it rakes them a ton of money from dongles and 3rd party addons. I think the article demonstrates a unique problem of an Apple user who does not understand the technology and where the world is moving past what Apple offers them.

The world is more than ready for USB-C in fact the world is USB-C, I have not had a single device since 2018 that didn't come with USB-C ports, from laptops, to game consoles, to power banks and even chargers if you want go full USB-C to USB-C route, but I always keep an USB-C to USB-A in my travel bag.

EDIT: I should point out that our/your traveling inconvenience where you can not plug your own charger, are just that inconveniences, that's why USB-A > USB-C cables are for, for everything else you can easily bring your own travel charger, which if you did your research, will fast charge your USB-C devices regardless if you are in the Americas, Europe, Asia, Oceania or Africa. Naturally the public infrastructure and planes which gave you the USB-A sockets will take some more time before they all switch to USB-C, eventually that will happen, but as is with everything public, it takes time, but the USB-C connector, not the standard, is here to stay for at least the next 20 years, so it will become more ubiquitous at airports, airplanes and other public places where they allow you to charge your devices.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023
There's been a weird influx of articles criticizing Pixels for dubious reasons while plugging iPhones. Feels almost like a smear campaign. Anyway USB-C is awesome for traveling, I just bring one international adapter brick and USB A to C cable that can charge my phone and laptop just about anywhere.

tortiemvh

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
I had to relive my dead account just so I could reply that this article is extremely dumb. I hope this was AI generated and not written by a tech editor.

Jan 14, 2023
Contrary to all of the hate this article is getting, I agree that the infrastructure needs to catch up. The quicker we can start making all ports USB C, the better. Think of it, no more USB A or mini USB or micro USB or Lightning ports anywhere, just USB C everywhere and USB C to USB C cables. We benefit from better transfer speeds and a unified cable system so we don’t have to keep and tote around a mess of multiple cable types of varying lengths.

ArsenalTrucker

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2012
Like most people replied, we have been living with usba for long enough now and usba to USBC cables have been supplied with most android phones not heard of USBC to USBC being supplied maybe it's these unreliable lighting cable apple users can't accept are outdated since arrival of USBC.

ArsenalTrucker

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2012
Contrary to all of the hate this article is getting, I agree that the infrastructure needs to catch up. The quicker we can start making all ports USB C, the better. Think of it, no more USB A or mini USB or micro USB or Lightning ports anywhere, just USB C everywhere and USB C to USB C cables. We benefit from better transfer speeds and a unified cable system so we don’t have to keep and tote around a mess of multiple cable types of varying lengths.
Yes agree with you about having 1 type of usb(USBC) but she does seem stupid in the article as most modern android come with USBC to USBA not sure it's been that long USBC to USBC, I've a OPPO X3 charging is brilliant.