iPhone 15 USB-C is a big disappointment — here’s why

Sep 15, 2023
I mean I agree with you for the most part but there was also zero chance the non-pro models were going to see an upgrade. Non-pro models always use the previous years processor. The USB controller is on that chip so there was little to no chance it would be different. Next year the non-pros will have the USB 3.0 and who knows what Apple will put in the next series processor for the pro line.

Knowing Apple and the fact that I cursed them for never adding a better USB controller in the lightning line on phones they will stick to USB 3.0. Lightning was completely capable of USB 3.0 they had iPads with it they just never put a better controller in the phones.

Sep 16, 2023
I’ve been researching the transfer speeds of other phones since all these articles have come out complaining about how disappointing the usb-c is on the new iPhones and have found some interesting info. Both android phones you mention in this article aren’t even as fast as the iPhone 15 pros. The pixel 7 pro is capped at 300Mb/S do to the slow write speed of the cheap usf storage they used. In deeply hidden fine print, Samsung states the transfer speed of the S23 ultra is capped at 5Gb/S. Claiming 3.1 or 3.2 is all marketing hype and means absolutely nothing. The truth is the majority of all usb-c phones currently in existence are still on usb2. Nothing disappointing at all when you actually dig a little deeper and don’t just go off of the misleading marketing hype.

Peter_207

Honorable
Jan 27, 2017
While I applaud Apple finally coalescing their phones onto the prevailing standard, I have to say that I'll miss the Lightning cable. I appreciate the flat, solid male end of the Lightening cable, which has generally been rock solid. USB-C, while overall great as a standard, has a fatal flaw: the male end of the cable, being essentially a hollow, oblong elliptical tube, is very easy to crush and deform, making it useless unless you're able to carefully bend it back into shape. I've ruined several USB cables this way, and never had any problem with Lightening cable ends (no corrosion or wearing even). While this may theoretically reduce waste, I suspect that in reality this may not be the case.