iPhone 4 - It's Official Now [UPDATING]

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
When this goes on sale it will be the best phone on the market. Sorry Droid Incredible. You were an incredible device (ha) but with what iPhone 4 is packing you lose the crown. The A4 is very fast for a smart phone and although the iPhone OS is not "open" I still prefer the interface to Android. (Having an open OS does not make it a better OS) The video chatting looks very fun and the device looks nice from my personal opinion.

Let the Apple bashing begin. Oh wait I'm much to late for that. Let the Apple bashing continue.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
[citation][nom]Hellbound[/nom]Glass both front and back??.. With my busy hustle and bustle life, having a glass phone doesn't make sense. I've dropped my current phone at least a few dozen times by now.[/citation]

It makes sense for Apple's wallet.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
lol... I remember some people screaming "fake" and "scam" when the initial leaks were released because the device looked 'obviously too thick' compared to the 3GS.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
I have to say that I am really impressed with toms on this one. Just a long article that states what the iphone does. Not 50 smaller articles each about one little new thing.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]miloo[/nom]how much it cost anyway ?is the battery removable this time ? or still the same ?[/citation]

Yeah the battery is removable. All you need is a hammer.

kalogagatya

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
why are they calling it phone when it is more a computer that does phone calls?

still i think it's ridiculous that it STILL doesn't have a mSD card slot.

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
The glass is not standard glass. It's aluminosilicate which is 20 times stiffer and 30 times harder than plastic. It's the same glass used in high speed trains and helicopters. The rim is a unibody stainless steel design. It will be by far the most durable iPhone (or smartphone) ever.

The 5MP camera they designed will be better than other 8mp cameras on the market because the sensor size is larger. The larger the sensor size is, the more photons (light) each megapixel takes in. This creates more lattitude and less noise, resulting in cleaner pictures. The trade-off is the resolution is not as high as 8mp cameras... but 8mps of resolution is overkill for a cell camera, and even for a lot of standard point and shoot cameras. Unless you are outputting pictures to very large print formats. The more important part is the quality of the image.

While it's true the video chat has been done before, it's likely iPhone4 will do a lot towards making it a ubiquitous communication technology. No screen names to setup, works with your standard phone calls, at high quality, the convenience of always being with you.

While it is currently only on WiFi, meaning it will be for home, office, or coffee shops (or airports/hotels) only... WiFi hotspots are a dime a dozen and everywhere. The phone auto detects if you are in WiFi so you dont have to fiddle with settings.

When networks support this over 3G/4G things will REALLY take off. The nice thing is that this is an open standard. Meaning other phones can utilize it and communicate with the iPhone when the support it. It's also open on the iPhone, which means we can expect to see it integrated into apps like Skype, allowing you to do a video chat from your iPhone to a skype user on a Mac or PC.

Finally, ATTs generous 6-month advance for an iPhone upgrade can only be indicative of one thing: an impending announcement of their exclusivity ending and the phone coming to other carriers. While else would they be so eager to get everyone into another contract ASAP? They also upped their early termination fees. The rumors have been flying... verizon iPhone... coming soon! :)

The new hardware combined with the new software of iOS4 leave me very impressed. Looks like the pressure from Google and others has really caused Apple to step it out and bring out their A-Game. It's been a while since I've seen the keynote announcements and left fully satisfied and impressed. The only disappointed was no 64gb model, but that is forgivable considering everything else they have packed in.

Also: gyroscope. I see this as being indictivate of the iPhone/iPod touch being used as a Wii type motion controller when the new AppleTV adds app/game support.

ALSO I want to agree with tokenz. Thank you TOMs for consolidating this into one article and not spamming the news with 10 different stories! :)

lvlouro

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
[citation][nom]celisic[/nom]Apple knows not only how to make things aesthetically pleasing but advanced as well. I've had my Iphone for over 2 years with no problems and I can't wait to get this one. Great work Apple.[/citation]

Apple should've been a design company period!
I have my Nokia N80 for 3 years now and it does things the iphone 3GS doesn't, like multitasking and video calls!!!
And when I bought it it was already old!!!

lvlouro

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
[citation][nom]celisic[/nom]Apple knows not only how to make things aesthetically pleasing but advanced as well. I've had my Iphone for over 2 years with no problems and I can't wait to get this one. Great work Apple.[/citation]

Apple should've been a design company period!
I have my N

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]Is it just me that i don't care about any Apple products?[/citation]
No, others don't care - they are just better at it. They don't read articles about Apple products and then post comments about them.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]Is it just me that i don't care about any Apple products?[/citation]
Yes. It's you. Hundreds of millions in sales revenue might tip you off...

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Am I the only one seeing all the "noise" in the photos? Sorry, photobug... it just stands out to me.

I know there are limitations with the camera sensors, but my 8 year old kodak has clearer pictures than the demo shots here.

Just my $0.02.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Very impressive device but I don't care that much for phones so I will wait for the iPod Touch version or for the second gen iPad next xmas. Still I want to see what the iOS 4 can do with my older iTouch.

Five megapixels could be better than 8, it depends on manny factors, sensor, calibration, lens, digital processor. It is the same with point and shoot digital cameras. Sometimes more pixels even just add noise but it is still one of the big marketing features. The images look very good for a phone image but the real test will be taking all kind of pictures with it.

You may bash Apple all you want but you get to benefit from more competition.

The uglier you bash the more you demonstrate how much you care babies... :) greens!

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
and yet my evo 4g is still better. Try again apple, with your new data caps and data packages, no one will even use all of the devise.

Apple doesnt impress me one bit. But hey in the famous words of sir charles barkley, "You can put a pretty dress on an ugly women but shes still an ugly woman".

G

Looking at the specs, I would say it sounds much more explosive.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
wow, multitasking, folders! both were available on jailbroken iphones way before apple got around to it. looks like a few nerds with computers were much faster than the apple development team.

Status
Not open for further replies.