iPhone 4 - It's Official Now [UPDATING]

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]ksampanna[/nom]Really? You means photos even better than the 8 MP cams?[/citation]

Try not to fall into the megapixel myth... Higher pixel count does not make better pictures. It is the picture quality, sharpness, color saturation, and many others taht counts. For 5x7 prints 5M pixel is good enough let along that most people just use these pictures for their facebook and bloging.

Remember the old P4 - Athlon myth? Higher the GHz does not mean the better CPU

gpace

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Apple again showing it's ability with packaging and making products that look nice. I still won't buy it, but they know how to make products that sell.

Also, more megapixels doesn't mean batter picture. The optics and processing are also very important.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]miloo[/nom]how much it cost anyway ?is the battery removable this time ? or still the same ?[/citation]

16G $199 and 32G $299 as before. While the battery is removable only in the Apple store...

Ehsan w

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
I hate Apple...(I own an Ipod), but they make everything look so good....*drool*
except...the mac's XD

gotta like the res with the 300 something ppi

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
These specs sound awesome to me. High resolution screen, quick cpu (for a phone) 512mb ram... or does it still have 256mb? That would be sad :(

The camera, though "only" 5 megapixels, seems to have VERY little noise (especially compared to the 3gs's joke for a camera). I don't care much for HD video, though that can be nice too, I guess. I would rather have had WVGA @ 60+ fps than 720p @ 30fps. 60fps would be so much nicer for doing slo-mo.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]tsnorquist[/nom]Am I the only one seeing all the "noise" in the photos? Sorry, photobug... it just stands out to me.I know there are limitations with the camera sensors, but my 8 year old kodak has clearer pictures than the demo shots here.Just my $0.02.[/citation]

True... But I believe you are aware that this is basically the universal problem of all phone cameras. How much can we expect from the tinny lens and CMOS...

It is like complaining the picture quality from the point and shot camera is not as good as the one fomr a DSLR.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
By the way, thanks for making a nice summary of the new iPhone 4 in one article.

It is much easier to read in this way.

Good job, Toms!

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Hasn't Cisco got 'ios' secured with its long-running Internetwork Operating System?

I shall watch this one with interest.

Nice gadget by the way. Love the antennas.

Source: Me, 3GS owner & CCNA.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]ErikO[/nom]Hasn't Cisco got 'ios' secured with its long-running Internetwork Operating System?I shall watch this one with interest.Nice gadget by the way. Love the antennas.Source: Me, 3GS owner & CCNA.[/citation]Cisco has given Apple permission to use IOS.

cj_online

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]Because we, developers, do not like this openness crap. WE HAVE FAMILIES TO SUPPORT and Apple is the ONLY phone manufacturer that gets us money.[/citation]
Are you a foxconn employee?

serkol

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
[citation][so go be an Accountant or something! any developer who LIKES the iphone dev platform has something wrong with them. I have developed on every platform under the sun and it is by far the worst![/citation]

I've developed for iPhone, Android and Blackberry. iPhone SDK is the best among the 3. I also make more money a month (from my iPhone app) than my friend - a corporate programmer, and his wife - a corporate accountant, combined.

Cons29

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
proly one of the things i dont like about apple, you have to pay for almost everything. look at the ipad, the stand and other accessories, wow.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
In an all fairness and Apple aware opinion (meaning, closed, closed, closed) this device does seem to be a mature iteration of the iPhone series, with the exception of the whole thing being glass. The main fault from a usability standpoint of the iPhone by itself for the average joe is the face that the glass screen was the highest point on the device, and it tends to fall on it. Now with both sides being glass, shatters are inevitable. Let everyone who buys one get an Otterbox or bust. The features seem on par with what would be considered modern to me, but not earth shattering by any means. Functionally, it will be interesting to see how the metal band functions as an antenna. Frankly, given the temperment of low power transmitters @ the prescribed frequency, being able to physically conduct yourself to the antenna is likely going to cause some issues with radio performance. However it was housed in a mostly metal housing before, so we'll see. As antiquated as it sounds, the older phones with external pull up antennas we far superior in design for radio purposes than today's fully integrated antennas. I am going to wait for the mass hysteria of the device to be over, then examine getting one as I already have a 3gs. This is however only if the small carrier in my area doesnt start supporting Verizon 3G roaming -- In which case I'll get them and an android offering.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
The specs on the phone are good, too bad it is overpriced for what you get. While they announced folders, it wont mean much if there virtual folders in which only the iphone and itunes sees them as a folder but every other app just sees raw data. It needs to function like a windows mobile device in which when you connect the device it shows up as a mas storage device/ external hard drive.

Glass on the back is not good. They already made the antennas external, they should have made the back steel or aluminum so when the device inevitably falls, you wont have to replace 2 glass panels.

While not having video chat over 3G sucks, it is to be expected, you wont be doing much video chatting with a 200 or 2GB bandwidth cap, also the AT&T network wont handle it. 3G also has latency problems. And it will be enabled for 3G when the phone gets jailbroken

The screen is good but I am sure it will have the same problem as apple has with all of it's IPS displays, the backlighting is not even, this causes an uneven contrast ratio and lower picture quality. (even their most expensive displays have this problem)

Multitasking is good but why leave out the older devices? the first gen iphone and ipod touch have more than enough memory and CPU to handle multitasking, (I have a pocket PC from 10 years ago that has a 206 MHz CPU and 32MB ram and it can multitask

Apple needs to add an expansion slot, (an SD card slot will be good)

The camera is actually very good for a 5 megapixel when in normal lighting but they have not shown what will happen in low light. all of the sample images were in well lit environments

And 5megapixel seems to be a little past the limit for their cmos, most of the images have a slight interpolated look this happens when the megapixels are too high for the image sensor, (eg look at a 12megapixel point and shoot camera the resolution is high but at a 100% crop, the image is not sharp and it is not detailed, and if you look at the effective resolution, (meaning the highest resolution before detail is lost, it is generally on par with 8 megapixel cameras

megapixels do not determine image quality. I have gotten cleaner/ larger prints out of a 6 megapixel DSLR than from a 12 megapixel point and shoot. Overall this device would completely take over the market if apple allowed people to install any OS they wanted for it, kinda like how on some windows mobile devices, you can install the android OS.

christopherknapp

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
[citation][nom]ksampanna[/nom]Really? You means photos even better than the 8 MP cams?[/citation]

Actually yes. Megapixels mean absolutely nothing when it comes to the quality of an image. They give you two things, larger print capability and more cropping ability. That's it. So, before you make ridiculously cliche and uninformed comments ... think.

Megapixels mean virtually nothing, there are far more important factors when it comes to digital image sensors. Get off the wagon.

sactownbwoy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
It looks pretty decent but the "facetime" is weak. Here in Japan regular "dumb phones" can do video chat over the cellular/3g network with any person/any carrier as long as their phone supports it. Just dial the person's number and select video call, if their phone supports it, it will happen.

Funny story. I was in Fuji and my female friend was back in Okinawa and I wanted to try out the video chat on my phone so I called her up. She answers the phone just out the shower and sees me staring at her in her birthday suit. She drops the phone and runs to grab a towel. It was so funny, the look on her face when she saw me looking back at her.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
Wow, iOS, sound a lot (and by a lot I mean exactly) like the os on cisco routers (called ios, interwork operating system). Come on lawsuit!

Status
Not open for further replies.