iPhone 4 Sells 1.7 Million Units in Three Days

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

omenowl

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
I guess I am old fashioned and buy what I want. At the end of the day I am happy I bought my phone and while I have issues with AT&T when I travel to more remote areas or backroads overall it works for my daily life. I would much rather have verizon because the coverage is better in most instances.

Here are the simple facts
We have all benefited to the success of the Iphone. Whether you like the phone or not it has improved the usability and user interface throughout the smart phone market.

There are issues with every phone. It takes work for me to hold the Iphone to reduce reception. Overall though I keep it in the holder and use a headhone to talk, but I understand the issues and can replicate them.

I had no issue with the yellowing of the screen. Either I didn't notice it or mine was not affected.

The ergonomics of the new iphone are not as nice as the old one. I might just buy the little bumper crap so it feels nicer in the hand. The non rounded edge of the phone removes a lot of the ergonomic feel the original had.

Facetime works well and I was impressed.

The camera, video, flash, etc are some big highlights. The camera on both sides works well. The flash is pretty darn bright.

Battery life seems good.

I cannot pick out pixels on the phone the resolution is so sharp. Once it gets too close to my eyes I can't focus so the argument of retina display is moot in my opinion. If you are looking to nitpick then that is one thing, but during daily use you won't notice.

The sound quality and volume is far superior. This amazed me actually considering my old iPhone was crap on this issue. I can actually make the speaker work in a moving vehicle.

I do have issues with the voice control for names. I wish we could say someones name and the system would try to match it (try Yochmowitz with the pronunciation as yokmowitz). Lisps, weird spellings, weird pronunciations and accents can play havoc with the voice control.

At the end of the day I like the iphone. I haven't tested all the brands so I can't comment on them. I know people who have hated their N95s due to the user interface and others who hate the iphone because of ATT. I will say this much that a phone should be enjoyable to use and have. As long as you are happy with the phone and carrier then you made a good purchase.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]omenowl[/nom]I guess I am old fashioned and buy what I want. [/citation]

See, nothing wrong with this response at all. watcha can put down his Apple Educated Diploma and learn something from you. Nobody minds a response like this, even the haters. What people don't like is someone freaking out saying it's the BEST EVAR and attacking anyone who might be saying it isn't the best, which is why I felt the need to respond to him.

eeide

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]awood28211[/nom]The only peeps who accept the reception as a software issue are the Apple fan boys. Bottom line is 1.7 million people bought a phone that when held improperly gives a reduced reception reading. This is NOT entirely a software issue as it DIRECTLY correlates to physical interaction with hardware. A software only malfunction is just that. SOFTWARE. Holding the phone causes a hardware anomaly that obviously causes the signal meter to report something is amiss and the software displays that. This is a best a combination of hardware and software and believe it or not... Apple poorly designed something... and there is NO WAY you will ever convince me that they were not aware of this prior to release. But I guess when you manufacture nearly 2 million phones it's hard to recoup that investment if you don't actually sell them.[/citation]
So you have an iPhone 4 and have directly experienced the issue? Just because it's on the internet and/or the traditional media doesn't make it real. I don't have an iPhone 4, but know several people with one and they don't have any problems. I have owned several products that have had issues like these and it is probably just a bad batch not every iPhone. However, I will wait to get an iPhone 4 then cast a judgement. If it sucks I will take it back you have 30 days. I love it when people bash or praise a product they have never even touched just based on the internet. I read reviews first just to know what I might be getting into, but reserve the final judgement for myself instead of giving it away to strangers.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]See, nothing wrong with this response at all. watcha can put down his Apple Educated Diploma and learn something from you. Nobody minds a response like this, even the haters. What people don't like is someone freaking out saying it's the BEST EVAR and attacking anyone who might be saying it isn't the best, which is why I felt the need to respond to him.[/citation]

I fully aggree with you. and the same things go to both side of extreme lovers and heaters.

Here is the site for tech educated people and people who are interested in tech stuffs. No product is perfect and no product should be best/worst in the world.. if is really that bad.. it will disappear on the market.... so the good and bad usually end up on what is the best fit to the person. Just like the pure performance and price/performance debate... it is not something who is better... it is just about which fit us better. So love what you like and be respectful about the different point of view. Being an extreme fanboy or hater just yourself down to the ground level.

Back to the story, I have not have the chance to have the hand on experience on iPhone 4 so I can not say much on it. Bease on the spec and reviews, it appears to be a jump ffrom the old iphones and it is defintely on pair with the most current smartphone on the market.

Regarding to the signal problem, at this moment it seems to be kind of major. Apple better have a way to fix it soon or this issue will get much complicate. Same as the EVO 4G's screen problem (http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/14/htc-evo-4g-and-droid-incredible-suffering-from-unresponsive-scre/) (they seems major to me.. but not sure why people kind of ignore this news..;) )

Just like I said.. nothing is perfect specially on a new product.

samdsox

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
and in other news 1.699,999 returned their iphone 4 because of anttena issue. the one other(jobbs) just "didn't hold it that way"

Status
Not open for further replies.