iPhone 5 plagued with issues.

Prominer44

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
Hey there Tom's Hardware, for a while now, I've been facing a long list of issues that don't seem to be going away. I'm hoping that posting here (along with on the Apple Discussion forums) I'll be able to get some help.

I got the phone in December of 2012. The issues started back about 6 months after I purchased the phone from Verizon back on iOS 6. I was having slight battery issues, but nothing major and the drain was manageable. However, after iOS 7 first came out, I've had a series of issues. I've listed them below.

iOS 5:

• ■ None

iOS 6:

• ■ Slight battery issues, faster than normal drain. Likely due to me adding more email addresses to the mail app to fetch for and frequent app notifications.

iOS 7:

• ■ Increasingly bad battery issues. Getting worse with each update, sometimes dropping up to 10% in 5 minutes with only one app opened, randomly shutting down with up to 50% battery life remaining with one or two apps open.) This continues to be an issue, even with background app refresh disabled, location services severely reduced, only 2 email addresses with fetch set to 1 hour, parallax disabled, all aps force closed after use, and push notifications gradually being decreased.

■ Random disconnects from WiFi networks (Usually remedied by toggling WiFi off and then back on again in control center, sometimes requiring hard shut downs of the phone).

■ Missed calls (One call comes through with no issue, 2 hours later in the same exact place calls won't come through at all).

■ Refusing to charge with MFi certified chargers (usually remedied with a quick reconnect).

My phone is almost always either connected to my home or school's WiFi network, is fully charged almost every night, frequently synced with iTunes, has an Otterbox defender case and is very rarely dropped, with it being in my pocket most of the day.

I have tried restarting the phone, doing hardware restarts (holding power + home for > 15 seconds) with and without Airplane mode enabled, and have done my best to take good care of it. It has never been dropped without a case, never been in water at all, and never jailbroken. Some days I can put it under heavy usage and have no issues, and other days I'll hardly use it at all and not be able to make it through the day without it dying on me. Everything short of restoring the phone to factory defaults has been done, yet I still have issues.

If anyone can give me any insight as to what's going on and how I can remedy the problem, please do.

Thanks.

Prominer44

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013

Thanks, I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

Prominer44

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013

I accidentally chose your answer as best, that was stupid of me. Anyways, I'm saving the trip to the Apple store as a last resort.