iPhone 6 Benchmarks: Here's How Good It Really Is

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcongl

Estimable
Sep 20, 2014
How about running this same test against Lumia 1520. I am sure the outcome would be far different :) .

zetabrand

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
This really is a remarkable phone. Everyone is touting about it's "inferior specs", but it really is amazing what Apple does with them. I'm a big fan of both markets, and appreciate them both for what they do well. I would say Apple did a fine job with the 6 here, especially after holding one in my hands.

strfle

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014
Considering my Macbook Pro (Gen 3) Ivy Bridge i7 2.3 ghz with 16 gigs of Ram 1600mhz and SSD did SunSpider in 219.8ms Chrome and 181.7ms Safari plugged in.

An iPhone doing it at 356 ms is pretty amazing. Clearly, phones have caught up with desktop browsing speeds. Safari on the iphone 6 feels amazing. Running online javascript Google Maps feels like a native app on iPhone 6. This is exciting for hybrid apps and what they can do soon.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
One of the main areas where apple is doing the right thing, is with their CPU, they are still focusing on better single threaded performance which is why they are doing so much better than everyone else in single threaded tasks such as web browsing.

Even if you do not like apple, the CPU in their iphone is one area where you cannot really fault them.

(if you have a quad core CPU in your smartphone, run a program like android tuner if you are rooted, you will see how little those extra cores are used unless you play a number of games from some of the major developers)

Fr3DD13

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014
There's a mistake in the Sunspider Javascript results.

The graphic shows that iPhone 6 outperformed the 6 Plus. But the text points out the contrary.

bmwzimmer

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
What is the brightness set at during the battery test? I hope you are setting them both at say 250 or 300 nits rather than run both at their max brightness when one is so much brighter and therefore capable of consuming more battery power.

impy1980

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Where's the HTC M8, LG G3 and OnePlus One in there, all better than Samsung's S5! A test to make the iPhone look better perhaps?

truthaboutU

Estimable
Sep 22, 2014
ummm comparing the iphone to s5 is not fair....especially since the s5 is not the best android phone out....of course iphone has a faster graphics processor than the S5...the S5 doesn't even have a graphics processor....lol what a poorly researched ad..nits...what the hell are nits...how about pixels... anyway...Samsung makes the retina display for apple so I doubt they would give them a better screen than a Quad HD display on the S5....GTFOH

mprospero

Senior Editor
Oct 4, 2013
@bmwzimmer - we set the brightness on the battery test at 150 nits on all phones. I'll be putting up a post shortly about how the iPhones did on battery life. @impy1980 - I only compared it to the S5 because it's the most popular Android phone. I'll add comparisons with the others in the full review.@truthaboutU - nits is a measure of brightness.

Lolbanter

Estimable
Sep 22, 2014
ruthaboutU how about you educute yourself on this stuff before you come to make yourself look like an idiot. The S5 does have a GPU, look it up. Google nits. The Quad HD is only on the LTE-A model afaik, so that's not exactly fair since it's only available in South Korea. Though I have heard it is coming to Europe.

Sing Along

Estimable
Sep 22, 2014
To be fair, please run the benchmark in full HD. Even a kid knows that if you use a good engine on a smaller car, it goes faster then putting it in a bigger car.

As for the browser test, the results looks out of context as there is such a wide gap between the sunspider results and the peacekeeper.

So far what i saw from apple is managing expectations rather than giving the hardware others are giving.

Once any other os come up close in terms of app stores and usability, good luck apple.

dada25

Estimable
Sep 23, 2014
Apple proofs that 300 - 400 dpi is enough for retina. So 500 and more dpi screens on android phones are marketing tricks( like 8+ cores cpu's etc.), nothing else. It's only decrease cell phone overall speed.

ptolomy_was_right

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
To REPEAT:

That's because android is run on java, and java = memory hog, needs big processing power. specs mean nothing, android and its development environment are to blame.

(thanks to geekdad74)

I had a iPhone 5S and a Galaxy S4, and honestly? The iPhone was faster. The memory and processing resources the Android OS was using (even rooted and ridded of all unneeded bloatware) was absurd. iPhone needs half the spec. And runs half as hot (and not made of plastic, which also keeps it cooler). I'm no fanboy.

This is a lot like Macs vs PCs, especially a while back. Macs needed half the RAM and CPU power to provide the same performance. No registry (in the same way), no fragmentation of HD, UNIX based OS. No contest.

Sing Along

Estimable
Sep 22, 2014
So you are agreeing that apple is overcharging for hardware components and getting by having a better os that uses limitations to enhance it's inferior hardware?

klyze

Estimable
Jul 22, 2014
Well i had always been atracted by the iphone GPU a few years ago, but lately not really.

Its cool that they have 64bit cpus, and its cool they finally have a larger screen and a new design.
Its really a great phone overall but... i cant stand the IOS restrictions and itunes crap.

And regarding the GPU its not something to brag about, taking in account the price, i mean, my 300€ nexus 5 (with the "old" snapdragon 800) in 3dMark gets already 16k in icestorm unlimited and my nvidia shield tablet (Tegra K1 wich is a real beast) gets 32k.

Benchmarks are not everything, i know but, they give you a good glance of the device performance, and tbh im not really impressed with this A8 chip.
The Tegra K1 32bits smokes everything atm, and the upcoming tegra k1 (64bit) will be a real monster in the nexus tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.