iPhone 8 Plus vs. Google Pixel 2 Camera Shootout: Apple Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.

coebruce

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017
Cameras, lenses and apertures and shutter speeds (the feature with the least amount of control in phone cams) are fixed and really represent no particular advantage to either camera. Evaluate the post processing, there's the difference. Everyone fiddles with their post, which in-phone editing package is best?

trinityeffect

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017
I dunno, the Pixel 2 XL might not be as punchy with contrast and color as the iPhone 8 Plus, but that is stuff you can add in post very easily on the phone if you want. I like the Pixel 2's dynamic range A LOT more, that LEGO picture was incredible on the Pixel 2 XL, you got all that detail in the shadow on the LEGO structure PLUS all that highlight detail from through the window. The iPhone seems to sacrifice retaining information for saturation and brightness. No thanks. Andthis is coming from an iPhone guy.

andrew.schloemer

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017
So the pixel display is calibrated for better color accuracy by default which results in a duller image, while iPhone is calibrated for more popping color. I would be curious to see results with the pixel in the vibrant display mode got a more apples to apples comparison. Pun fully intended.

240.9638.mark

Prominent
Sep 14, 2017
My take is that for most of these photos, especially the ones where the Apple wins, the difference apears to be exposure: Retake the shot with the Pixel with a +1/2 stop EV and you eliminate the iPhone's advantage. By only using the phones' fully automatic setting you are really just testing the software engineer's biases. This is why DSLR's include auto-bracketing for both exposure and white balance.

Having said all that I would much prefer a slightly underexposed shot to one that is slightly overexposed. Minor underexposure is easily corrected in post processing. Washed out detail is just plain gone.

It is interesting that the roles seem reversed in the photo of the fountain. Like the pixel fired the flash and the iPhone did not

Given all that, the superior performance of the Pixel's flash is a pretty big deal

james.lei65

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017
Remember, shot in log/flat video or raw photo deliver better and more accurate colours than on default camera. iPhone 8 is pleasantly beautiful when I found some of the 4K video in Japan and colour graded.

antextse

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017
I feel like it was not too long ago that we frowned on punchy high contrast photos and praised photos that we neutral and we'll balanced. Now all of sudden we hate the photos that are the easiest to work with. I say shoot as much detail as you can even if it's flat. It's just gonna end up with an instagram filter anyway

kidkidpush

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017
Coming from an iPhone user. Tom. Lol ?? your full of shit. You know damn well the pixel destroyed the iPhone in those pictures. If you look at the Legos and see to your right you can see the overexposed shot that the iPhone had of the street it was horrible. And as for the empire State building ???? you got to be kidding me right ??? iPhone won that with more detail ????? Really you can't even see the letters on the poster on the pole on the iPhone shot. Tom I own a iPhone 7 plus. And I must tell you iPhone is a great phone but all those shot pixel won just be honest with yourself. And people before you post shit like this lol??

sebadigri

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
I stopped reading when I saw the lego photo as a draw. it could be a draw ,but google phones (since the Nexus 5 2013) try to maximize the detail in the entire photo.

This is why the iPhone 8 outdoor part of the photo is terrible compared to the Pixel 2 where you can see the building with much more details.

kidkidpush

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017
Skepticspartan. I believe. Apple will send the editor of this fake shit an apple iPhone x. I wouldn't be surprised I'm amazed at this really. Shit I want an iPhone x myself ?? I guess this would make sales of the iPhone 8 go up now finally ??????

kidkidpush

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017
Mmmmm yeah. For now on I don't believe any reviewer at all. It's either I test things out and see it myself or I won't pay attention to it. Simple as that. I think we ourselves are the best reviewers for what we want

jacksmith21006

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016
Carry an iPhone but let's be real here. The Pixel has the better camera. It is not the end of the world. Think this author probably purchased a iPhone 8 and is someone that needs to justify the purchase. Dude get some confidence

yonibauzil85

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017
You called it man I don't know how they thought that was a draw when the iPhone 8 photo had horrible exposure in the background and the pixel 2 xl kept everything in the image well exposed. Beats me how that was a draw..over exposure to me is an instant loss

sky92x

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017
I found the reviews more based opinion than in any kind of fact or eye for detail. In fact one of the final examples he like the iPhone for having more contrast but if you look in a few areas the iPhone has completely blown the details out! The pixel captures all of the details including the Shadows of the tree and the whites of the building.

Other various differences are just from the automatic exposure level and general good practice is to slightly underexpose when Outdoors to prevent blowing out light colored objects are objects with sunlight on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.