iPhone 8 Plus vs. Google Pixel 2 Camera Shootout: Apple Wins

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for your comment. While you can certainly improve your photos afterwards,
the focus of this face-off was to determine the image quality straight out of the camera in auto mode.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
There's nothing biased about this review. In fact, for at least a few photos I polled our staff,
not telling them which phone produced which photos. Also, DxO Mark is only one measure of quality,
and their numbers are meaningless to most people.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
It's true I'm not a photographer. But I wokred with photographers in putting together this comparison and gathered their input. Not all of the iPhone shots were overexposed but some were, especially Lego shot. And as I mentioned the Pixel 2 has a great camera. The screen is another matter.

jvdrock

Prominent
Sep 12, 2017
Actually I find the Pixel's shot of the Lego Man sharper whereas the iPhone seems washed out in reflections. I also see the zoom shots with the Pixel being the clear winner due to the iPhones being too bright and washed out. Both take great photos for a phone. I don't see a reason to buy one or the other based on just camera operation. I'll take Android over iOs any day.

kingqwerty

Prominent
Oct 30, 2017
In 2x zoom: Pixel pops out more and has better dynamic range but iPhone has better details. iPhone wins.

Every other photo: Pixel has better details and dynamic range but iPhone pops out more. iPhone wins.

Sheesh at least have some consistency.

theapplewiz

Prominent
Oct 30, 2017
I will say the iPhone 8's camera quality is comparable to a dslr. Alot of people will complain about the aperture/capture time but if you download FiLMiC Pro your going to be able to fine tune all your settings and get the best results.

Status
Not open for further replies.