iPhone DRM App Claims It Can Stop All Pirates

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I don't know why developers put up with it. I have a piracy control system in my apps, and it works like this: If you pirate the app, my app erases your filesystem. All of it. Not just your documents: it erases your file allocation table, and then the rest of the drive if there's time. This is pretty effective, because sure, you can patch it... but when I release an update that can check for the old patch, you're pretty much fucked.

There's no reason to crack apps, even if you're "testing" them out. That's what demos are for. You can try out a portion of the app. A lot of you who demo apps "demo" like 50% of the game, and then find it useless.

I don't see why Microsoft and other companies follow suit with things like this... pirate my software, and your filesystem goes down the shitter. Pretty simple concept.

Fuck you pirates.

G

I don't know why developers put up with it. I have a piracy control system in my apps, and it works like this: If you pirate the app, my app erases your filesystem. All of it. Not just your documents: it erases your file allocation table, and then the rest of the drive if there's time. This is pretty effective, because sure, you can patch it... but when I release an update that can check for the old patch, you're pretty much fucked.

There's no reason to crack apps, even if you're "testing" them out. That's what demos are for. You can try out a portion of the app. A lot of you who demo apps "demo" like 50% of the game, and then find it useless.

I don't see why Microsoft and other companies follow suit with things like this... pirate my software, and your filesystem goes down the shitter. Pretty simple concept.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]ASmartDeveloper[/nom]I don't know why developers put up with it. I have a piracy control system in my apps, and it works like this: If you pirate the app, my app erases your filesystem. All of it. Not just your documents: it erases your file allocation table, and then the rest of the drive if there's time. This is pretty effective, because sure, you can patch it... but when I release an update that can check for the old patch, you're pretty much fucked.There's no reason to crack apps, even if you're "testing" them out. That's what demos are for. You can try out a portion of the app. A lot of you who demo apps "demo" like 50% of the game, and then find it useless.I don't see why Microsoft and other companies follow suit with things like this... pirate my software, and your filesystem goes down the shitter. Pretty simple concept.Fuck you pirates.[/citation]

LOL. It is too bad iPhone applications don't have access to the file system.

G

to ASmartDeveloper2
haha... you're not as smart as you think. What do you think the VM is for or the kernel debugger, or the custom rootkits. Go play outside with the other children you smuck :)

G

I don't develop for the iPhone, you smuck. I develop for the PC and PocketPC, both of which I have access to the filesystem for.

Have fun pirating my software, I hope you enjoyed having a harddrive with bits other than 0 written to it.

saturn77

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
[citation][nom]tarantul[/nom]to ASmartDeveloper2haha... you're not as smart as you think. What do you think the VM is for or the kernel debugger, or the custom rootkits. Go play outside with the other children you smuck[/citation]

Ahahaha! This Smartdouche is an idiot. Please prey tell what software would do that much damage to someones system and still allow you to be in business after the first incident. What if his "app" mistakenly thinks you are attempting to crack it? You send the person/business an apology letter? LOL! Go sit on it!

saturn77

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
[citation][nom]ASmartDeveloper23[/nom]I don't develop for the iPhone, you smuck. I develop for the PC and PocketPC, both of which I have access to the filesystem for.Have fun pirating my software, I hope you enjoyed having a harddrive with bits other than 0 written to it.[/citation]

Sorry, you are not making any sense. You would be sued out of your clothing if you actualy did this. You actualy think we believe that you would destroy thousands of dollars worth of information to save your $10 POS sofware?

What happens if your masterpiece erases someone's hard drive by accident?

I agree with the other poster, go play with the other children, or better yet in the freeway.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Apple bricking the iphone with updates, not new. But when a hint of an update mistakenly bricking your system, erasing your stuff etc. well, I'd stay really far far away from that application, legitimate or ...

G

I am just wondering would a VM be able to stop Asmartdeveloper's method of protecting his app.

Just for the heck of it, why not send your app to tomshardware and have them test it and see if it can defeat VM.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]ASmartDeveloper23[/nom]I don't develop for the iPhone, you smuck. I develop for the PC and PocketPC, both of which I have access to the filesystem for.Have fun pirating my software, I hope you enjoyed having a harddrive with bits other than 0 written to it.[/citation]

No. You actually don't develop for anything. No software programming would ever be allowed to write software with that sort of function. You are quite an idiot.

MrF430

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009

Wow! Thats cool! What program is it exactly? I would love to purchase it put it through the test and see how quickly it wipes out my entire drive! I am willing to risk my HDD! Please let me know, thanks.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]You really think it will last 16 hours? You are giving this developer way more credit than I am.[/citation]
No, I'm not giving credit to the developer. I'm giving leeway on the off chance that most of the hacking community is asleep or not paying attention at the time. Almost like a "The Tortoise and the Hare" sort of deal. Once work is actually started on cracking it, I'd say 90 minutes to an hour is likely the more reasonable estimate, given the supreme level of confidence Ripdev is exuding here. And that time DOES include a possible break to get up for more Hot Pockets.
[citation][nom]ASmartDeveloper2[/nom]I don't know why developers put up with it. I have a piracy control system in my apps, and it works like this: If you pirate the app, my app erases your filesystem.[/citation]
A few fatal flaws with that:

1. anti-DRM hacking works on a simple idea: it makes sure the program thinks it's perfectly legit. Your supposed method (it's clear to me that you aren't a programmer) will be just as easily broken.

2. This scheme relies on your DRM program having access and permission to alter the file table. This permission would likely not be granted in most operating environments, and would be readily revoked on those that would, hence easily stripping the teeth from your DRM.

3. Any system that attempts to determine if the software is pirated invariably produces false positives. (take a look at Sony's SecuROM) Given what I've seen some courts say, I doubt you could alleviate your liability no matter how much BS you toss into the EULA. In other words, your business would rapidly become unprofitable as you'd wind up paying every client that experienced a hard drive wipe due to a glitch in your DRM.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
[citation][nom]ASmartDeveloper2[/nom]I don't know why developers put up with it. I have a piracy control system in my apps, and it works like this: If you pirate the app, my app erases your filesystem. All of it. Not just your documents: it erases your file allocation table, and then the rest of the drive if there's time. This is pretty effective, because sure, you can patch it... [/citation]

Hmmm... And when you update your CPU or GPU or something else, the programs gryes out foul and erases your computer! I buy my programs and I don't definitely trust to those DRM systems. When they f*** up they really do it...

G

Hey, A"Smart"Developer, give it up. We all know you are, to put it simply, lying your @$s out.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Dang ASmartDeveloper23, that's a little harsh. If you write software that wipes my hard drive because I pirate it I will have to come after you - irrlegardless of it I stole the software.

I happen to be a developer myself, but threatning people probably isn't the way to get them to buy software, just a hunch there.

I do pirate a LOT of software, but I also buy a lot. The stuff I actually use often and is reasonably priced I buy. I'm not paying $500 for some nice program I only have an isolated need for, I'll just go torrent it and then uninstall, maybe to never use again.

Maybe some of those expensive softwares should impliment a pay per use system? You pay $10 for a 3-day license or something. If you need to use again in 6 months you buy another small license. Sounds like an interesting and affordable model to me. Otherwise you pay that $500 and after 6 months there's a new version out and another upgrade. If you don't need the software that often you just get scammed really.

Think different people.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Oh, and ASmartDeveloper23 what software do you write (name and web site please)? We enthusiasts need to get the word out about your crappy business model so no one ever purchases your software again and you go hungry. Hopefully that forces you to sell your computer for some grilled cheese sandwiches and you never program again.

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
[citation][nom]p05esto[/nom]Maybe some of those expensive softwares should impliment a pay per use system? You pay $10 for a 3-day license or something. If you need to use again in 6 months you buy another small license. Sounds like an interesting and affordable model to me. Otherwise you pay that $500 and after 6 months there's a new version out and another upgrade. If you don't need the software that often you just get scammed really.Think different people.[/citation]

That's a great idea p05esto, that could apply in Creative Suite for example. I made a site then just uninstalled. Took me about a week to finish it with Illustrator, Photoshop, Fireworks, Flash and Dreamweaver. I would pay $20-40 to rent it for a week, but giving so much money for a program suite that I never used again would be a waste of money.

Phosters

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Some people are bored and have nothing better to do than troll.

ASmartDeveloper
ASmartDeveloper2
ASmartDeveloper23

3 different trolls, or one person so stupid they have to make 3 different accounts to post 3 times.

But it is funny to see you guys de-epeen him.

Status
Not open for further replies.