iPhone Falls Behind in Popularity

Status
Not open for further replies.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Windows Phone 7 isn't a bad OS, it's just on a crappy phone. They should have released a better system to show off their work if they wanted to take the market.

zulutech

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
Well the iPhone was a nation-wide fad. It's popularity will die eventually. The technology is also falling behind other companies like HTC and Motorola too.

signu53

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
still you have to think that the iphone represents one manufacturer while android represents many. So you can take that stat with a grain of salt.

G

Microsoft is losing market share because Windows 6.5 is losing. Windows Phone 7 (which should be viewed an an entirely different entity than 6.5) is gaining. Articles like this piss me off.

bsbsbsbs

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
[citation][nom]signu53[/nom]still you have to think that the iphone represents one manufacturer while android represents many. So you can take that stat with a grain of salt.[/citation]

Not really because it's iPhone versus Android remember?

The Greater Good

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Typical of the iFlock to use the argument signu53 did. Apply that same logic to Apple's computer market, please. You can't hide the fact that Apple is slipping in the R&D department and after Lord Jobs departs... who knows.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
In some time Android will take over the market. Forget generic cellphone operating systems, Android or iOS, and iOS will lag behind by a large margin!

I predict Android will be like Windows, and iOS like the Mac OS; only for relics.

I do feel a lot of security issues will start rising with Android.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I know Google with it's Android OS will probably end up crushing the competition and taking over everything on earth, with potentially disasterous consequences.

But as long as they CRUSH the iPhone, I don't care what they do.

bloodlust22

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
[citation][nom]adamboy64[/nom]I know Google with it's Android OS will probably end up crushing the competition and taking over everything on earth, with potentially disasterous consequences.But as long as they CRUSH the iPhone, I don't care what they do.[/citation]

Interesting logic. I for one had a iPhone 3G and when it was time to upgrade decided to purchase a Samsung Captivate which at the time was the newest phone AT&T and according to them was the best Android phone at that time. So speaking from both sides of the fence when it comes to voicing my opinion on this topic what you say is at least the way things are moving very unlikely. If the phone manf. of Android would make google themselves to release steady patches and upgrades to a single Android OS, ie like Windows update making the Android system universal there will never be Android dominance. The fragmentation is horrid and since it seems 90% of the phone manf. are more interested in making a new phone every 30 days instead of supporting and updating the systems they currenlty have, I see this never happening. I miss the quality software that's developed for the iPhone. Android has nice features, but until someone decides to start developing and people who own Android based phones decide to start paying for something Android will never pass iOS. The numbers this article report are very skewd considering if mobile carrier has Android based phones and of that it would seem 3-7 models at any given time.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Results are only natural, if you think about what the user base each OS has. Pretty much all the iOS fans are hooked-up with one or another iOS device, whereas Android fans are people that discover the advantages of having more power and more options in using their phones. Other put, iOS is not getting more fans other than the ones that have already their phones. Android is getting all the disappointed users of other OS-es that limited their control over their phones.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]signu53[/nom]still you have to think that the iphone represents one manufacturer while android represents many. So you can take that stat with a grain of salt.[/citation]
this is about the OS comparison and their respective ability to gain more and more fans, not about manufacturers. After all, the hardware itself is pretty good for iOS devices, it's the software implementation that is extremely limiting, and people realize that, sooner or later ("why can't my iphone do this or that, like that guy's droid?").

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]bloodlust22[/nom]Interesting logic. I for one had a iPhone 3G and when it was time to upgrade decided to purchase a Samsung Captivate which at the time was the newest phone AT&T and according to them was the best Android phone at that time. So speaking from both sides of the fence when it comes to voicing my opinion on this topic what you say is at least the way things are moving very unlikely. If the phone manf. of Android would make google themselves to release steady patches and upgrades to a single Android OS, ie like Windows update making the Android system universal there will never be Android dominance. The fragmentation is horrid and since it seems 90% of the phone manf. are more interested in making a new phone every 30 days instead of supporting and updating the systems they currenlty have, I see this never happening. I miss the quality software that's developed for the iPhone. Android has nice features, but until someone decides to start developing and people who own Android based phones decide to start paying for something Android will never pass iOS. The numbers this article report are very skewd considering if mobile carrier has Android based phones and of that it would seem 3-7 models at any given time.[/citation]
So, it was time to upgrade? What do you mean? Your iphone was not satisfying anymore? How come? BTW, there are plenty of developers for Android, I have plenty of apps, both free or paid, and I prefer the paid ones. I guess you were frustrated with that Samsung phone, but that's you. Others seem to like them and yet others seem to like HTC or other brands. To each his own. Doing some research before buying a particular model is always a good thing, and having choices is the best thing of all. After all, when your iphone made you decide there was time for an upgrade, what other iOS choices did you have? None.

G

its because Iphone (1) vs android (infinite) the ratio of competitors are compelling

thaile4ever

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
This is a bias report to say the least. The latest iPhone 4 was released almost a year ago. New Androids phones pop up almost monthly. Anyone wanting an iPhone most likely got one last year or waiting for whenever Apple release the next iPhone.

As for iPhone vs. Android, on one hand the iPhone will beat the popularity of any single Android phone hands down, but I can see where the other side coming from since the iPhone represents the entire line up of the iOS, you could technically compare it to the Andriod line up. Even if it is 4 phones being compared to 50+ phones.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
I'm telling you, the best of the bunch will be windows tab and next gen windows mobile os, Gates has been quietly getting it, and the smart phone market is nascent enough that although there seems to be 800 guerrilla's anyone can be knocked off, ask blackberry, and at the end of the day say what you want about windows, but from the gate flash and java worked on it, and that means what windows has in spades is compatibility with what you know and use. Just wait.

G

Apple competes by making products they think people will like; and obviously, they are doing a great job at that by looking at their margins. Apple has been most successful. as a company that sells a user experience. The Iphone was not the first smartphone, did not have the first mobile web, did not do the first anything. The Iphone was the first smart phone for someone without an IT day job. The real question is why the competition has taken so long to bring an alternative to market, and why didn't they produce better products in the first place. Or put another way, Apple is mopping the floor with the competition because the competition is so incompetent.

Status
Not open for further replies.