iPhone Game Developer Claims 90% Piracy Rate

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
At the developers blog, they also have a chart showing a 0% conversion rate for pirated copies. But, this assumes a pirate who purchased a legitimate copy would then play the legitimate copy and not their pirated copy, not a valid assumption imo.

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]I'm sorry, but $1.99 is way too much money. Do you think I am a billionaire or something. I think this continues to show, Apple users are cheap douche bags who are used to getting everything but their hardware for free in which case someone probably bought it on their behalf.[/citation]

Not really the term 'Piracy' an act of robbery on the high seas; also : an act resembling such robbery, or 'Pirate' involves direct contact with the person(s) being robbed and the taking in whole there property for resale, or profit. The term 'Pirate' is a political term created by the RIAA/MPAA to demonize all people in all it's forms of file sharing in order to propagate there antiquated business model. I use M$ Word and Excel, but I do not use it on a daily basis, just about the bulk of my use for either is my resume and to view files that are created by others. In other words I hardly ever have the need. Does that mean I'm willing to pay upwards of $100.00 for a copy of word alone, I don't think so!

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
From reading the developer blog, it's basically incredibly easy to pirate iphone apps. Meaning people are stealing this because they can, it's so damn easy. Not because they would have purchased it because they like it. It's like when you go to work and someone brought doughnuts. Yeah, you take one because it's right there. That doesn't prove that you would have stopped by the doughnut store and purchased it yourself. Some people never buy doughnuts themselves. These same people almost always eat the free doughnuts at work.

checkmate

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
To add to my doughnut work, Appulicious or whatever the hell the pirating site is called, basically put out infinite free doughnuts. Plus they're "Surprisingly this is MUCH easier than actually buying it on iTunes!!" easier to get to than going to the store. The developers need to attack the pirate sites legally. All other measures leave the plate of infinite free doughnuts available basically.

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
[citation][nom]WheelsOfConfusion[/nom]Jules: I'm awaiting the return of feelies in standard, non-deluxe packaging [citation][nom]o0RaidR0o[/nom]Folks, folks, I've said this before and I'll say it again stop propagating the term 'Pirate' when talking about file sharing. Those that did not pay for the app and are using them for there own purpose are not pirates. Those that download for profit are the pirates.[/quote]I think you can call it "piracy" whether or not redistribution is involved.[/citation]

Not really the term 'Piracy' an act of robbery on the high seas; also : an act resembling such robbery, or 'Pirate' involves direct contact with the person(s) being robbed and the taking in whole there property for resale, or profit. The term 'Pirate' is a political term created by the RIAA/MPAA to demonize all people in all it's forms of file sharing in order to propagate there antiquated business model. I use M$ Word and Excel, but I do not use it on a daily basis, just about the bulk of my use for either is my resume and to view files that are created by others. In other words I hardly ever have the need. Does that mean I'm willing to pay upwards of $100.00 for a copy of word alone, I don't think so!

chriscornell

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Have some cheese with that whine...
DRM and Windows Live does indeed suck, but think back 15 years - In the good old Amiga days, 10 mins of loading was really no problem - why is everyone i such a rush? People complain about having to put a dvd in their drive, how lazy can one get? The only think that ever bothered me was Batman Arkham Asylum, because I used my second Xbox-360 controller on my pc and it therefore thought of me as a stranger...lame.
Remember how much anger HL2 spawned when released, people bitched about Valve's DRM - but it kinda works, and doesn't annoy that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.